Newly hatched chick with hurt/deformed back claw?

Animalluver91

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Kentucky
Hi, Im new to this forum. One of my eggs hatched last night after being pipped since the night before, it was having trouble with its shell so i went in and carefully chipped at the shell. when it finally hatched, it came out with one foot out and its head. It has trouble walking and refuses to lay down but loves to be held, today i noticed on the leg the chick is favoring its back toe/claw is not where its supposed to be. Its other leg is fine and he/she seems to be happy and loves it when music is on especially bob seger's old time rock n roll. Here's a picture of the toe/claw. Is there any way I can help it or is it deformed? I am hoping not to put it down.

I see no reason to put it down. Is there webbing attaching the back toe to the front toe? If so, I would be tempted to cut the webbing. If not the chick should be able to adapt to that slight deformity.

Thank you, this is my first chick that hatched like this so i was unsure what to do, there is no webbing. It seems to be adapting slowly but has trouble laying down it will stick its leg out straight sometimes before it will sit, we made a nest that it loves.the chick will rub its head on it and will attack anyone who tries to touch it. Is there anything i can do to help it sit down easier? Thank you for the help

Hi, there is no problem with a little deformed foot. You could even cut it off at this age with no side effect. Living in NY I have to with ducks cut off the right back toe so that they are marked as to law. ONE OPPTION. The chick could get along just fine without it.

NYchickenman55

Back
Top Bottom