newly hatched chicks! possible breeds that went into it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by asteria01, Mar 29, 2015.

1. asteria01

asteria01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2015
    CA
    hi, i have 2 chicks that was just hatched last night and this morning. they are from these hens: Red Star, Wyandotte, Ameraucana, Easter Egger, Barred (or red) Rock, White Leghorn and Buff Orpingtons. the eggs it hatched from was a brown color for the black chick, and green egg for the buff chick, so im thinking white leghorn isnt it lol. the breeding was a barnyard mix, as the roosters were mutts i think. I was really surprised to see a black chick though, as i didnt remember seeing any black hens from the local egg supplier? any feedback as to which possible hen these babies are from? thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rainekitty

Rainekitty Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    If the buff chick hatched from a green egg, it's mom was an easter egger. If the egg was actually blue, then could have come from the Ameraucana as well. I'm not sure about the black chick from the brown egg.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Green egg would be Ee momma. Black chick would be from barred Rock momma.

4. asteria01

asteria01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2015
    CA
    cool, thanks! now for barred rock sexing ive heard its possible for chicks up to about 5 days old? this chick has very black down but no head spot.. is it sexable since the roosters are mutts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by