Newly hatched duckling having neck problems - severe

Emmy_Aus

Hatching
Oct 27, 2020
Hello :)
I am newly registered here but have been reading through post for the past few weeks, I have gathered some very useful information. However I am needing some help of my own now. We just had our very first ducklings hatch, the first 2 needed assistance hatching and they are thriving little mischief makers however the third ducky who hatched all in his own (a little late I might add) is having some severe neck issues. He flings it right back constantly and is a rolling mess, he can’t get back on his feet he can’t walk and he can’t get his own food. He is now 2 days old, I have been hand feeding him, I started him on brewers yeast yesterday and today I have started him on poultry multivitamin, however no improvement yet. I have made a scarf like harness for his neck to keep it from flinging back but he still falls over. He’s such a cute little duck and I’m really hoping he will pull through. Is this wry neck or something more severe and is it curable?
Any help would be muchly appreciated :)

Attachments

• AB727E6D-B85E-477E-A901-30630B1C2193.png
    AB727E6D-B85E-477E-A901-30630B1C2193.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 235F7D9A-9885-429B-BC55-F2EE7CD496DD.png
    235F7D9A-9885-429B-BC55-F2EE7CD496DD.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
If you could get 400iu soft gel vitamin E capsules, and vitamin B complex pills, or Cattle B complex, that would be better than the poultry vitamin although the poultry vitamin would be good for now. One soft gel a day, and a few drops of the B complex. I would also try offering her warm soupy feed, and mashed scrambled eggs, the eggs being high in vitamins, one being selenium which will help the absorption of the vitamin E.

You'll want to offer her feed/water more than several times a day, ad ensure she stays warm. If the problem doesn't resolve with vitamins, it could be related to a hatch malposition, viral, or bacterial infection.

Here is some info on wry neck,

https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2014/04/preventing-and-treating-wry-neck-in.html

Thank you for your help Isaac . The only Vitamin B I can find near me in a soft gel capsule is a mega b containg Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and B12, would that be ok to give her? Also with these soft gel capsules do I just open them up and syringe the gel into her mouth?
If it is a vitamin deficiency how soon should I see an improvement, Or if it is one of the other things you mentioned will she eventually pass?

Thank you for your help Isaac . The only Vitamin B I can find near me in a soft gel capsule is a mega b containg Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and B12, would that be ok to give her? Also with these soft gel capsules do I just open them up and syringe the gel into her mouth?
If it is a vitamin deficiency how soon should I see an improvement, Or if it is one of the other things you mentioned will she eventually pass?

If you live near a TSC, could you get this?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex

If you get that bottle, draw a few drops out, and carefully give her a drop or two along her bill, leaving time to let her get everything down. You could also mix it in with treats if she's eating.

For the soft gels, cut the tip-off with a pair of scissors, or poke it with a needle, and drip a drop along her bill, or mix it in with treats. If it is vitamin related, you should be able to see improvement within a few hours, or a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom