Newly hatched emu won't eat or drink

Cattnip

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2021
A little runt of an emu hatched two days ago, and I have never seen it eat or drink. I try showing it the food, and making it watch the other emu babies eat and drink but I don't think its working. I scattered food on the ground for it and the little guy just ran over it and went to its friends. Is there some sort of treat I can give it to give it an appetite? Thanks...

'Is there some sort of treat I can give it to give it an appetite?'

I agree with Shannons. But as you did ask: sweet fruits like date or grape or fig.

SE

They don't eat for several days after hatching, like Shannon said :) But it does make you worry, doesn't it?

The first thing I usually get my chicks to eat is collard greens. They like the green color and usually will hoover down greens when they're offered.

Hello! I decided to ask my question here because I have the same concern. I just had a baby emu born today. He was born from father incubating eggs, and it's quite cold where I live so I took the baby home under the lamp. I don't know when exactly he hatched, but I assume yesterday.

I have the same concern about him not eating the food, and I know that they're living on yolk for a couple of days. But he seems to be a little lethargic and I started to get worried. He responds if I whistle, and tries to stand up which leads him to lose balance and roll over. I am not sure if that's a vitamin deficiency or what. I am not sure what to do exactly other than watch him. I gave him spinach pieces and he's interested in it, but doesn't seem to have enough strength to actually eat one. Any advice would be appreciated! Please let me know if I need to create another thread for that.

Back
Top Bottom