Newly hatched keeps falling onto back

wightmoves

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Have a newly hatched Naked Neck that can only move backwards and then falls over onto their side and can't get back up, just lies there with their legs going and lots of cheeping, I know most would suggest a quick cull but what has caused this and is there anything I can do to help her?

I wouldn't suggest a quick cull unless it was still doing that 3 days after hatch. It can take a good long while for some chicks to get their feet under them. Just make sure it's on a non slip surface and they should be up and about in a day or so.

go to Raising chicks on the message board and read the thread about McMurrays sick chicks. Do your symtoms match?

is this chick under a mamma hen or in a brooder?
It may have gotten cold (if under mamma) or may have been kept from water/feed...

I had a late hatcher do that. I took a washcloth and lined a meduim size plastic container and sat the chick in it so that the chick sat upright and couldn't really move in it. I left it that way for 24 hours and made sure to dip it's beak in water every hour or so. After 24 hours I put it in a small shoe box with the rubber shelf liner. By the end of the second day it was walking around like normal. I think mine was in the shell to long and caused it to do that but now it runs around with all the other chicks just fine.

Many thanks for all your help and advice, the chick is doing a lot better now. Did have to stay up late with a syringe with water in it and dip feed it for a while, and then up a few times in the night to ensure it was up the right way and not cooking on its back under the heat lamp.
Today the chick is walking, feeding and drinking, but is still only half the size of the others hatched.
Seem to be having trouble with the Naked Necks as they are getting stuck on the membrane, all the other chicks in the incubator hatched fine.
The other chicks in the brooder have been helpful and snuggled in to keep this one warm, and seem to have taken it under their wing (sorry about the pun).
Many thanks to you all.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom