Newly purchased chicken is sick.

However the frizzle still has’t touched a thing, and I’m writing this over 24hrs afterwards. I’ve been feeding little droplets of water and eggyolk onto its beak, it rarely takes interest. It’s obviously been neglected or mistreated in some way, no animal should look like that. When put down on grass or other surfaces, it had no interest in anything, most of the time it stayed still and when it did move, it wandered slowly in a circular motion in the same metre squared.

Symptoms include; Lethargy, no eating or drinking, liquid, watery poop, stillness, doesn’t move much, won’t really react to anything and just overall not looking great. I’ve named her Dandelion.

Update: I’ve been syringing a solution of egg yolk and water straight into her mouth for the last couple hours and have found the crop to be squishing, no solids in it. Is this normal when on a liquid diet or is there something wrong? Is something stopping her from getting the nutrients she needs?
Hi @Dimondel I'm sorry that Dandelion is not doing well.
Can you share some photos of her and if she's pooped, some photos of that too?

You mention her crop is squishy, does it feel like the fluids that you have given her?
Is she able to poop?
You treated with mite spray, did she have any mites/lice on her?
Also, how old is she?

Hi @Dimondel I'm sorry that Dandelion is not doing well.
Can you share some photos of her and if she's pooped, some photos of that too?

You mention her crop is squishy, does it feel like the fluids that you have given her?
Is she able to poop?
You treated with mite spray, did she have any mites/lice on her?
Also, how old is she?
Yes. This is Dandy. She just sits and sleeps all day when I’m not manually feeding her. I was told she was 8 weeks old. She did have mites and lice when I got her, haven’t seen any since treating and bathing her though. Sometimes the crop feels like the liquid food I’ve given her, and sometimes it just feels like air. I can’t really tell.

I’ve trimmed up some of her feathers because they were in the way. She’s very small.

Attachments

• CA3D38E0-8413-413B-86FF-F068299CD8A3.jpeg
    CA3D38E0-8413-413B-86FF-F068299CD8A3.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 65103B52-4D92-41CA-97AF-173BC4F1ACCD.jpeg
    65103B52-4D92-41CA-97AF-173BC4F1ACCD.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 4
Yes. This is Dandy. She just sits and sleeps all day when I’m not manually feeding her. I was told she was 8 weeks old. She did have mites and lice when I got her, haven’t seen any since treating and bathing her though. Sometimes the crop feels like the liquid food I’ve given her, and sometimes it just feels like air. I can’t really tell.

I’ve trimmed up some of her feathers because they were in the way. She’s very small.
I would try to avoid bathing her since she's not well. If you do, then make sure to dry her very well with a hair dryer so she doesn't chill.

Can you get some photos of her poop?

The crop sometimes feels like it's filled with air? Does she seem to breath ok?

I'm not sure what else you can do but try to get fluids and food into her. She may be failure to thrive. I'm not that familiar with Frizzle (?) genetics but this may be part of what's going on with her.
@Overo Mare do you know anything about Frizzles?

I would try to avoid bathing her since she's not well. If you do, then make sure to dry her very well with a hair dryer so she doesn't chill.

Can you get some photos of her poop?

The crop sometimes feels like it's filled with air? Does she seem to breath ok?

I'm not sure what else you can do but try to get fluids and food into her. She may be failure to thrive. I'm not that familiar with Frizzle (?) genetics but this may be part of what's going on with her.
@Overo Mare do you know anything about Frizzles?

It was immediately after I got her and I didn’t have anything to get rid of the lice and mites at the time. Also she stank and all her feathers were dry with something nasty. This is still the case, however I got a fair bit of yellow ick out of a lot of her feathers. I dried her immediately afterwards and put her under something warm.

I’m really not sure about the crop. I have not seen her have any difficulty breathing, no noises, mouth open etc.

This was the poop I could find in her cage. I cleaned it out a couple hours ago sorry. It’s usually small and mostly liquid, but since I’ve been feeding her she’s had more substance to it.

Attachments

• C19A33D1-C24B-47D1-93AA-DD3CDD6708B4.jpeg
    C19A33D1-C24B-47D1-93AA-DD3CDD6708B4.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 9BA8A94F-85DE-4F2C-8F3A-18D1F5579690.jpeg
    9BA8A94F-85DE-4F2C-8F3A-18D1F5579690.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 5
No, and I was told that I shouldn’t since she doesn’t have bloody stools.

I’m assuming it’s the product of mistreatment/ not being well looked after though.
Coccidiosis doesn't always present with blood in the stool.
Symptoms include - lethargy, not eating/drinking, unkempt appearance, huddling, poop with mucous or blood.

Re-check for the mites and I would consider treating for Coccidiosis since you've had her for a while and nothing else is working.

Back
Top Bottom