Newly purchased chicken is sick.

Been treating for Coccidiosis for a couple days, and continuing with egg yolk as well. If she had a fitbit she wouldn’t take more than 30 steps a a day, and that’s only if tap on her butt to make her move a little bit. She’s been giving me little tweets and sounds once every little while, but other than that, nothing. Still not eating and drinking on her own. I even put her next to the food bowl with the other chickens so they could maybe show her that she should eat. I’m giving her lots of gentle pats and cuddles, while still giving her time and space. No improvement. I will continue this until it’s not possible anymore, but if anyone has any other advice it would be greatly appreciate. Also, can I put water vitamin things in with the cocci treatment or will that render it useless? (I haven’t being doing that but just wanted to check)

Been treating for Coccidiosis for a couple days, and continuing with egg yolk as well. If she had a fitbit she wouldn’t take more than 30 steps a a day, and that’s only if tap on her butt to make her move a little bit. She’s been giving me little tweets and sounds once every little while, but other than that, nothing. Still not eating and drinking on her own. I even put her next to the food bowl with the other chickens so they could maybe show her that she should eat. I’m giving her lots of gentle pats and cuddles, while still giving her time and space. No improvement. I will continue this until it’s not possible anymore, but if anyone has any other advice it would be greatly appreciate. Also, can I put water vitamin things in with the cocci treatment or will that render it useless? (I haven’t being doing that but just wanted to check)
No, don't add anything to the treated water.
Can you tube or syringe feed and fluids into her?
Egg yolk is not going to be enough nutrition for her. You can make a thin slurry of chick starter.

Don't beat yourself up for trying to help a suffering animal. You succeeded in once case, and even if Dandy does pass you gave her something it sounds like she didn't have in her whole life up to the point of you adopting her: love.

As others have said, keep her warm, and absolutely do the tube feeding! Chickens let themselves starve and go downhill really quickly. I'm currently battling this with a hen I have who has an infection that doesn't want to clear. I've got the big guns in terms of medicine coming in the mail on Friday, so I'm praying that's the cure for her. In the meantime, she's not interested in food/water at all, but I've been tube feeding her and she's back from the brink of death.

I'm using the Kaytee exact baby parrot food. I got it at Petco. It makes a really nice slurry that doesn't clog up the feeding tube and seems to be helping my hen a lot. She's not having the green starvation poops anymore, and she's definitely more alert. She's still tired, but I imagine battling the infection is hard on her.

Kaytee exact.png

I was trying to syringe feed her prior to doing the tube feeding, but it just wasn't feasible to get enough food in her to maintain life. I am certain she already would have died without the tube feeding.

Here is a complete guide on tube feeding from the resident expert on the subject:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

Thank you so much for everyone’s support. Dandelion passed away a couple of hours ago. She was warm, she was comfy and she was safe as she went, with little resistance. She has a little memorial in the garden and I went and bought a little flower for her. She was a lovely chicken, and even though I didn’t know her for that long, she will be dearly missed. I am so grateful for everyone’s help, and I hope Dandy is dancing in a field of flowers somewhere in the afterlife.

How is she doing? You have probably done better than 99% of people by keeping her going for a week so far. This must be like torture for you so just know, everyone really really hopes you manage to end out with a healthy and happy little bird. You really couldn’t have tried any harder - like lots have said - you loved her and helped her as much as you could. Like some super awesome human once said, the most you can ever do is the best you can.
Do everything that sounds like good advice but also, play some music that makes you happy and also look after yourself.

Thank you so much for everyone’s support. Dandelion passed away a couple of hours ago. She was warm, she was comfy and she was safe as she went, with little resistance. She has a little memorial in the garden and I went and bought a little flower for her. She was a lovely chicken, and even though I didn’t know her for that long, she will be dearly missed. I am so grateful for everyone’s help, and I hope Dandy is dancing in a field of flowers somewhere in the afterlife.
I’m so sorry to hear that. Sorry it didn’t pop up before I replied.

Back
Top Bottom