News- Clucking Chickens in Hollywood Yard Prompt Lawsuit

Quote:
lol.png
yeah it is, isn't it? thanks for the support.

Quote:
Thank you for explaining the sq foot thing I have a hard time figuring out things like that. I see your point on culture. I misunderstood. I still think that this whole mess is strange since people can have chickens in town why is this one family being fined and sued. I guess I am confused as to why they are getting daily fines and then the neighbor is suing I need go read some more.

Read the newspaper article and watch the video.

OP, chickens ARE domesticated; they have been for thousands of years. That is a HUGE point in your favour. Virtually any source you find will uphold that they are domestic animals. If you had red, green or grey junglefowl, it COULD easily be argued that they are not domestic, but not chickens.

I agree with the filing a motion to have the fine reduced significantly--should not have accrued during appeal, especially if it is against law or policy.

The judge just ruled that the chickens are NOT a nuisance!
wee.gif
ya.gif
she denied the temporary injunction to have the chickens removed!

Yeah it was ridiculous, we have Plymouth rocks, Wyandottes and other normal domestic chicken breeds.

While I am happy that you get to keep your chickens, I have to mention something that bothered me: why did nobody else notice that 15 chickens are being kept in a 21 square foot coop? yes, they free range during the day, but 21 square feet for 15 chickens? I thought that the standard allowance was 4 square feet of coop space per bird...that means that the coop would need to be 60 square feet of space...or am I wrong? I do also think that having that many in such a small area is bordering on problematic...and regardless of whether the neighbor "lured" your chickens onto her property, I hope you have truly made adjustments so such happenings can't recur. Good Luck!

BigDaddy'sGurl :

While I am happy that you get to keep your chickens, I have to mention something that bothered me: why did nobody else notice that 15 chickens are being kept in a 21 square foot coop? yes, they free range during the day, but 21 square feet for 15 chickens? I thought that the standard allowance was 4 square feet of coop space per bird...that means that the coop would need to be 60 square feet of space...or am I wrong? I do also think that having that many in such a small area is bordering on problematic...and regardless of whether the neighbor "lured" your chickens onto her property, I hope you have truly made adjustments so such happenings can't recur. Good Luck!

In South FL they only need a safe place to roost at night, it is also 2 floors so it is really closer to 42 sq, they roost and lay eggs in there and nothing else, I let them out as soon as they can see. I have shade and water proof areas all around with food and water so that they can get out of the rain easily and can get to food without fighting.

It is not so many in a small area, they have 1500 sq ft of run and they cannot get out, as with any structure you only realize there is a problem when someone gets in or out. Once I saw her up on the fence I clipped her wings, and once I saw my neighbor digging under to let her in, I put large rocks and now it doesn't happen.​

Back
Top Bottom