Newtown, Conn School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just like to somehow see it harder for people with mental illness to aquire guns. How I don't know, but clearly mentally ill people and guns is a disastrous mix. It often comes out in the aftermath that they had some kind of mental illness, and yet had they had NO problem getting guns.

I was raised in a house WITH guns, I was taught about them, I have no great interest in them. I was taught respect of them, we have a single riffle in the house that we have used on predators. My husband would LOVE to get a handgun, but I asked him to wait till my youngest (9) is either older or out of the house. The 9 yr old has too much of an interest IN guns in general for my liking. I KNOW of a hand full of kids that have suffered injuries or death due to guns. Most of those WERE taught about the guns.

One of the cases I know of from personal experience, someone i had worked with:
Dad was an avid gun enthusist. He taught his son about them and gun safety. Kept them locked up in a gun safe. Son was 15, had friend over, dad was sleeping. Son took key to dads gunsafe, he and friend were messing around with a shotgun I believe. son shot friend in leg. Father immeadiatly woke up and ran to sound. friend was shot in leg. Dad called 911 and applied a turnicut.

Friend was stabilzed at local hospital and airlifted to big hospital. In the end he will walk with limp for rest of his life, and his parents feel lucky. The dad that I worked with, prayed EVERY day for the friend. He also prayed that the friend's parents wouldn't sue him and he would lose his house. In the end the friend has a limp for the rest of his life, but the friendship survived. I found that to be an inspiration to me.

I asked dad what advice could he give me as I had a 5 yr old and baby at the time. He said if he had it to do over again he wouldn't have guns in house with kids. I took his advice for the most part. This man had done EVERYTHING to avoid this situation happening. He had guns locked up, he did NOT keep them loaded. He had the only key on his keyring.Didn;t matter, and in discussing it with my husband I could find no way to make his safety precautions any better.

I am not anti gun but I do think it should be impossible for kids and mentally ill people to get them. as of now there doesn't seem to be any barrariers to mentally ill getting guns just felons.

When it comes right down to it... It was a person pulling the trigger. It would not have mattered what kind of gun he used. His intent was clear. Any gun would have sufficed. He would have just taken a little longer to be satisfied with his numbers before offing himself. It doesn't matter one darn bit that his mother took him to a shooting range. All that did was teach him to be a more accurate shot. It isn't her fault that he killed those kids. She didn't put the gun in his hand and tell him to shoot her in the face then go and kill off a bunch of 6-7 year olds and then himself. The fact of the matter is, this kid was an evil vacant person. He killed his mother. He killed children. He was intent on murder. He was set on it. He would have gotten a gun somewhere, he tried to get his own but didn't want to wait. Why would his mother have the guns locked up? He wasn't a little kid. Just cuz aspergers(SP?) doesn't mean pyschopath. So why would she think she should? If he couldn't have gotten a gun, with as smart as he was, sooner or later, he may have made his own, made a bomb, or went ahead and went the route of the psychopath in China who knifed a bunch of children.

The fact of the matter is, 20 children died. Attention needs to be paid to that. And it wasn't in a big town with high crime rates and gang violence, where we all would have said... well what do we expect? Blinked a few tears... No, this was a good small community where it is a SHOCK to all Americans. Now it makes us all think, this could have been my town... I couldn't imagine this happening in my town. But they wouldn't have imagined it in theres. And it will happen again. It will happen in another small town/city, we will be shocked all over again, and we will have this debate all over again. I am sorry, but armed security is the way to go. Yes, even in an elementary school. Not the teachers. I don't think the teachers should be armed. You may end up with a teacher at his/her wits ends and do harm. But Security Guards. I would pay a tax to my school district just for the pay/training expenses to keep the security guards. If it means protecting my children and their classmates, I would pay.

As for mentally ill and guns.. I agree. My dad was BP... He was a mix of both homicidal and suicidal. He always had guns and knifes. After voluntarily having himself admitted to the psych ward to get his head straightened out... he was fantasing about killing cops and my mom... He had me take the guns to the shop next door, a country farm and gun shop, and sold the guns. He always had locks on the guns and the guns locked up... Didn't matter. He decided that they needed to be gone, and they were. We never got another gun while he was alive. I don't have one now. I want to get one for predators of all kinds though. But haven't yet. I just ask the neighbor. I will however eventually get a shotgun or a rifle. I am also saving up to take a concealed carry licence. I will have that first before I get the gun or a taser, and that is because I work out of my car... Right now I have a big stick. But I agree that those with mental illness, or history of it, whether medically treated or not, should not have guns.

Closed for staff review, though the thread has served its purpose and will probably not be reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom