Next door

Chooklover

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
I have 4 battery hens. I keep them in a fenced in area of grass/greens. The neighbours have chickens and let them free range which is really good, except that their two roosters keep getting in with my hens when I am at school. I dont know if they have mated or anything. How do I stop them coming in with my hens.
Another problem with this is that they come and eat my chickens food.
Please help with some ideas of how to stop this happening.
Thanks, Chooklover.

I have 4 battery hens. I keep them in a fenced in area of grass/greens. The neighbours have chickens and let them free range which is really good, except that their two roosters keep getting in with my hens when I am at school. I dont know if they have mated or anything. How do I stop them coming in with my hens.
Another problem with this is that they come and eat my chickens food.
Please help with some ideas of how to stop this happening.
Thanks, Chooklover.

Only ways to stop 'em is to cover the area where you have your birds, or raise the fencing high enough that the roosters cannot get over it.

Only ways to stop 'em is to cover the area where you have your birds, or raise the fencing high enough that the roosters cannot get over it.

Thanks, but neither of those suggestions will be possible.
1. Dont have enough mesh to cover it, the area is very big
2. There is a brick wall next to the area and I cant knock it down for varied reasons.
But thanks a lot for replying.

Any other suggetions?

speak to your neighbors? Suggest they clip wings so the roosters can not fly over into your fence, eat up all your food , and possibly harass your girls.

Do what you can to make your fence taller? Personally, I have no idea how high a rooster can flap to as I believe they would naturally roost in trees etc. But if it were me, I'd try to rig something up to make my fence taller if I covering it was not an option. You can get old wood pallets from craigslist for free (sometimes), local habitat for humanity stores have discounted materials you might could use too.

Chicken noodle soup?
wink.png
Someone had to go there.

Last edited:
speak to your neighbors? Suggest they clip wings so the roosters can not fly over into your fence, eat up all your food , and possibly harass your girls.

Do what you can to make your fence taller? Personally, I have no idea how high a rooster can flap to as I believe they would naturally roost in trees etc. But if it were me, I'd try to rig something up to make my fence taller if I covering it was not an option. You can get old wood pallets from craigslist for free (sometimes), local habitat for humanity stores have discounted materials you might could use too.
My birds have managed to get up to about 4' high when they are determined. It's at the max of their ability, though. It's why I suggested getting the fence higher as one of the options. But, really - unless s/he blocks them, or get the neighbour to confine them - the OP is just going to have to deal with it.

I man will go a long way and to a lot of trouble to get to eligable ladies. Its gonna take a pretty tall fence. Getting the neighbors to trim the wings is the best answer. It doesn't hurt them and it doesn't take much to keep them grounded.

Back
Top Bottom