Next logical step….maybe

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by max13077, May 5, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I’m now thanks to all of you deeply entrenched in the hobby of chickenry(is that a word?). I’m looking for new ways to expand my “disease” and I’m thinking of getting an incubator and hatching some chicks of my own.

Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts?

2. justinszoo

justinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Nothing better than hatching your owns eggs!! [​IMG]

Be forwarned that hatching is very addictive and once started is very hard to stop.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I don't hatch eggs, but it does seem to be addictive for those that do. The reason I don't is because of space limitations (small coop and run), and the fact that you can't choose the sex of the eggs, you have to take what you get. Some people have an unwanted knack for hatching out future roosters. You have to have a plan about what to do with unwanted male chicks.

Also, you have to be prepared for the accidents of birth, such as unabsorbed yolk, leg problems, deformaties, etc. Most people never see those because they are "taken care of" at the hatchery.

I'd have chickens for while before deciding to expand in that direction. But that's me, I'm a cautious person...

4. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I went through the same thing! BUILD THE INCUBATOR!!! HATCH THE EGGS!!! [​IMG]

Seriously, I never in a million years thought I would get as addicted to chickens like I have. I got my first batch from the hatchery April 2007, by October 2007 I had build an incubator and by November I had 10 new baby chicks! Then this April I bought 10 chicks at TSC, 15 at a poultry swap meet, and 25 meat chicks from the hatchery.

My philosophy has become "Go big or go home!"

Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by