next problem...

JustJudith

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2020
My two new Black Australorp bantams seem to think they are eagles. Only had them two days but at night time they are roosting anywhere they can high up. I've had hens before and at dusk time they just trot into their coop. but not these would be eagles. They are settling nicely on the roof of the coop which is quite high. When I manage to get them inside they ignore the roost I've made for them and just get as high up as they can. will this behaviour change I ask hopefully

I had the same issue several years ago. Some night the girls went right in the coop but some nights it was up to the roof. I lost two to owls and the third stayed in for the most part.
sometimes it goes away and sometimes, it doesn’t.
Ah, you would think in such young birds they would change with time and practice but maybe instinct is too powerful to be overcome sometimes. Thanks for replying

Chickens follow instinct and habit.
I have fortyish New Jersey Giants and when they were moved to the current bigger coop, I passed them in through the single door. There are two chicken doors, a single, and a double plus the man door into the coop.
That was a year ago and they use the single door as their primary entrance and exit.

My two new Black Australorp bantams seem to think they are eagles. Only had them two days but at night time they are roosting anywhere they can high up.
Need to leave them locked in coop to 'home' for at least a week.
Are there other birds, or just these two?

Need to leave them locked in coop to 'home' for at least a week.
Are there other birds, or just these two?
Oh! I didn't know that. They've been running round the garden since Saturday. At the moment only 2. I'm planning to get another two probably of a different breed, shortly. Max of 4. Had hens before but not bantams, big steady rhode island reds and marrans. I guess now they are getting used to coming out in the morning they will maybe go in more easily after a few days....maybe...

Back
Top Bottom