Next time we get chicks....question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoORchick73, Jul 19, 2011.

1. SoORchick73

SoORchick73 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    We are allowed 6 hens, no roosters here in the city limits. In April we got 6 chicks of which only one turned out to be a roo. Can I add a hen now to my 18 week old flock (adult) or will they reject her? How man chicks would you get next time if you are only allowed to have 6 hens? I dont think anyone is going to come knocking and chicken counting if I have a few extra for awhile....but im sad we will be rehoming one I just found out was a roo yesterday. WWYD?

2. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Hmmmm... if you are on a 6 hen limit, the right answer would be to leave your five hens for a year or two and then replace them with 6 chicks in a few years.

However, I am not a very good rule follower, so I would probably get three more chicks, keep them separated until they were almost full grown and then introduce them to your existing flock. Chicks will not do well alone in a brooder, they really need a friend and three is a good number in my opinion. [​IMG]

3. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Quote:x2!

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If they come knocking, just refer them to this website for an explanation of Chicken Math. I doubt the public schools they attended taught Chicken Math.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by