1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Next time we get chicks....question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoORchick73, Jul 19, 2011.

1. SoORchick73

SoORchick73 Songster

May 9, 2011
    We are allowed 6 hens, no roosters here in the city limits. In April we got 6 chicks of which only one turned out to be a roo. Can I add a hen now to my 18 week old flock (adult) or will they reject her? How man chicks would you get next time if you are only allowed to have 6 hens? I dont think anyone is going to come knocking and chicken counting if I have a few extra for awhile....but im sad we will be rehoming one I just found out was a roo yesterday. WWYD?

2. Amyh

Amyh Songster

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Hmmmm... if you are on a 6 hen limit, the right answer would be to leave your five hens for a year or two and then replace them with 6 chicks in a few years.

However, I am not a very good rule follower, so I would probably get three more chicks, keep them separated until they were almost full grown and then introduce them to your existing flock. Chicks will not do well alone in a brooder, they really need a friend and three is a good number in my opinion. [​IMG]

3. zengrrl

zengrrl Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Quote:x2!

4. Quote:If they come knocking, just refer them to this website for an explanation of Chicken Math. I doubt the public schools they attended taught Chicken Math.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by