NH Member

4biddies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
NH
Greetings all from New England! I've been lurking off and on this wonderful site for over a year now, and though I'm not much of a forum chat type (not that theres anything wrong w/ that:)) I thought it was time I actually registered! I've just four birds for eggs and pets for my wife and I, had them for clost to a year...2 ri reds, 1 australorp, 1 speckled sussex. Been a long winter here in New Hampshire and have been battling (and just barely breaking even) on a pecking problem, but other than that these girls have been a total joy to learn about and raise.

This is a great site, with some really friendly people. It's amazing how many people are getting into backyard chickens, it's great to remember that eggs arn't produced in a supermarket!
Best regards,
-CJ

welcome-byc.gif

Hello. I am in central NH-Newport. What part are you in? We would like to get just about what you have-four egg laying chicken pets. What kind of coop set up have you used for our winter for your four girls? I am getting started and have been lurking on here trying to not have to reinvent the chicken wheel so to speak. There is always such great advice. Welcome.

I'm on the Seacoast. I made a chicken tractor type coop w/ attached run. Will get some pictures up at some point. It's literally on wheels, so I can move it to a new spot every other day or so. (except not now in snowy winter) It's relatively small, so we heat it with a 60 watt light bulb, which runs on a timer so it goes on very early in the am (coldest part of the day) until about 10. This gives them heat plus the xtra light they need to lay well during winter. And I made a homemade water heater like someone posted on here w/ a cookie tin, but I use a 40 watt bulb in it, no freezing at all. I think it's kind of necessary to have at least one outlet in the coop if you live in a cold climate, though because my coop is mobile my outlet feeds off a heavy duty extension cord

The breeds I get are all great egg layers, we probably average 3 a day, which is plenty for us, though we do eat alot of eggs. They are pets because they are all going to get a free ride when they slow down, we'll just add a couple more as necessary. Nothing wrong w/ eating chickens, but I never could after raising from day old chicks. So for us definitely not a financially sound thing, we just like natural food, and love animals, and it's great for a small scale farming type hobby.

Thanks for welcome all, and thanks for the welcome from Old Town Maine. One of my favorite singer songwriters I believe is from Old Town, Maine....Patty Griffin.

Back
Top Bottom