NH Member

I am so glad you put that last part. I don't have chickens yet, but when I do, I do not plan to eat them. We do eat "chicken", but I do not think I could raise them and eat them. This is all in theory of course, but some people gave me funny looks when I said I would never eat them and I am not a vegetarian. So at least some people do end up feeling that way. We still have a couple feet of snow on the ground here, so a chicken tractor would be useless at best in the winter. I would have to have a "winter" coop of some sort I would think. Just curious, which of your chickens is tamest(since you have different breeds)? I have two little boys and would want "nice" chickens. :) Spring is on the way in another month, so I guess I need to hang in there. Can't place a coop on a couple feet of snow(and then mud season). So I will keep lurking and learning from you and the others here who are having success. Thanks for sharing!

All the breeds I have are pretty docile, though not always w/ each other! I think most of the good laying breeds have the potential to be pretty docile, the more important factor than breed is just giving them alot of handling and human attention from day one. Some will always be more into being held than others though, they do have little chicken personalities.

And yes, the mobile coop isn't so advantageous in the winter time, but it doesn't hurt either, it's still just a coop w/ attatched run. And you may have winters that are more green than others. They still like to go out and look for stuff if there isn't snow on the ground. Boredom is a pretty big issue in the winter. Lots of pecking problems start that way, particularly if you don't have a big coop with distractions.

welcome-byc.gif
, CJ!

Glad to have you here!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom