NH Reds , advice please

Mary Ruth

Hatching
12 Years
Oct 31, 2007
Hi

I am a newbie. First, let me say I am delighted and surprised at how people get so passionate about their chickens (including us) and how much this site has helped. We have a baby bantam (10 wks), a mutt chicken (don't know what it is) a Plymouth Barred Rock and 3 NH Reds. I was wondering how hardy these guys are in the winter if I let them in a portable pen in the day and then the hen house at dark? The 3 Reds are like the mini army, the General, Sargeant and Lietenant towards the other three during day but ok at night. They don't seem to like each other...but are friendly with us. So we have been putting the General and her cohorts separate in the day. Hoping this will pass towards other chickens...Any thoughts or comments welcome, thanks in advance.

Mary Ruth, Welcome to BYC! Everyone should have their location on their profile, making it easier to give advice, Where you live gives us an idea how extreme your winters are.
Chickens combs can freeze in very cold weather, and some comb types like pea comb and rose comb are better than single combs like your New Hampshire Reds and Plymouth Rocks, that would be my main concern.
A good draft free coop with the proper ventilation, along with plenty of fresh water that isn't frozen is another key to healthy birds during winter. Good Luck.....

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom