Niacin & brewers yeast

What is the brewers yeast and naicin for ? What is your feed I use waterfowl maintenenceby Mazuri

Well I have just one male pet duck. And he has been on layer pellets as no where where I live have grower pellets. I have been informed he is lacking niacin by being on layer pellets. I am still trying to get hold of grower pellets online, but in the mean time I am going to sprinkle brewers yeast or get niacin tablets for his water.

Well I have just one male pet duck. And he has been on layer pellets as no where where I live have grower pellets. I have been informed he is lacking niacin by being on layer pellets. I am still trying to get hold of grower pellets online, but in the mean time I am going to sprinkle brewers yeast or get niacin tablets for his water.

Brewer's yeast is a good source of niacin. Niacin is needed when ducklings are growing fast, especially large breeds and ducks that can't free range for insects, etc. Layer pellets are high in calcium and can be hard on a drake and can cause liver or kidney damage. Take a look at storey's guide to ducks for recommendations on home-mixed feed, but you can do a lot with cracked corn, cat kibble, potatoes, free ranging and misc supplements. How old is your drake? What symptoms is he showing?

Brewer's yeast is a good source of niacin. Niacin is needed when ducklings are growing fast, especially large breeds and ducks that can't free range for insects, etc. Layer pellets are high in calcium and can be hard on a drake and can cause liver or kidney damage. Take a look at storey's guide to ducks for recommendations on home-mixed feed, but you can do a lot with cracked corn, cat kibble, potatoes, free ranging and misc supplements. How old is your drake? What symptoms is he showing?

He is showing no symptoms at all. He is happy and healthy, he is 2 years old. I just did some research on his layer pellets and was informed it is not good for him long term. I have now ordered grower pellets online (as you can't buy them locally here), and am purchasing brewers yeast tomorrow to sprinkle over his food.
He is a happy and healthy boy, I just didn't want to wait for something to happen in the future, I want him to live a long life.
I might look into buying cracked corn too, where do I buy cracked corn?

What is the brewers yeast and niacin for ? What is your feed I use waterfowl maintenance Mazuri
Most likely if you can get water fowl feed you probably don't need to add extra niacin in the form of brewers yeast or Niacin tab. Most of us can't get it so we have to use feed formulated for chickens, but even then using water fowl man. you may still have a duckling that develops leg issues so then you have to add niacin to their diet. I use an all flock and just for regular maintenance add Brewers yeast [animal] grade to my flocks feed since I have very young and old in my flock. Ducklings can also develop neurological problems from lack of niacin their diet, it usually shows up early in their lives around 2-4 weeks. and can be corrected pretty fast once started on the niacin[b3] they need to be kept on it till 10-12 weeks of age.
http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Last edited:
My scovys are doing good on co-op chick feed and free ranging, scratch (mainly corn in some form or other, usually), is really high in fat and not much else, so its more for winter. they can fly all over now but easily handle able, and come when i call and go to bed on own. no substitute for free ranging. my dogs play tug with anything that tries to bother them. a chicken tractor type thing may work for your duck, as well as a friend duck that needs a home, as ducks do a lot better with one or more other ducks so not alone when your doing other stuff, as proven group animals (yes even people), live a lot longer happier lives when kept together.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom