Niacin Deficiency Help!

chellbell65

Hatching
May 19, 2021
I have a 4 week old Blue Swedish duckling. She is on the small side compared to the other two ducklings we have that hatched the same day. About 5 days ago she started struggling to walk. She had very shaky legs and would only take a few steps and then sit to rest. She is still eating and drinking when we put the food and water right in front of her. We upped her brewers yeast and have been adding it directly to her water and giving her some fresh herbs to nibble on. She hasn’t made any improvements. How long does it typically take to recover from niacin deficiency? Also the two other ducklings are twice as big as her now and keep accidentally knocking her over when they get excited. Would it be safer to separate her? I’m worried she won’t like being alone. Help us please!

Last edited:
The best way to prevent a Niacin deficiency in growing ducklings is to feed them a feed fortified with niacin, such as non-medicated flock raiser from Purina, and offer them a variety of fresh foods that are great sources of B3.

Links to help:
Link

Another Link

I HOPE THIS HELPS!! :)

There is another sick duck thread with some links and information about Vitamin B and other remedies to help make him more comfortable ->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/24474576/

Maybe there is something else going on that needs medication such as cocci. But I have never treated a duck. Maybe give him some prebiotics to help the vitamins move through his digestive track. Brewer's yeast will increase the protein % of your feed by a significant amount. He probably needs the vitamins more rapidly than having to digest pure protein. Something like mashed banana mixed with his food and vitamins would more quickly enter his digestive track allowing the vitamins to absorb faster. Check the other thread since there is input from other duck owners that have treated niacin deficiency. Hopefully with the proper B vitamin his condition will change, and hopefully it is not cocci. Your other two ducks can also be monitored for symptoms. I do feed my ducks and chickens bananas.

20210520_101221.jpg

Thanks for the links I will check them out. I decided to separate her from the other ducklings she cheeped for a little bit but then she calmed down. I put a stuffed animal duckling in with her and now she’s cuddling against it. I will try giving her some mashed bananas hopefully they help. The other two seem fine they eat and drink a bunch. They stay in a little pen outside. I was thinking about giving her some electrolytes to maybe give her a boost. I read coconut water has a lot of electrolytes in it so I was wondering if ducklings can have coconut, and if so how much? Should I give her some extra heat? Would that do anything? I'm just going to keep an eye on her hopefully she gets better!
Thanks for the replies!!!😀

Last edited:
Separating her may turn out poorly in the end. Unless the other two are actually bullying her, I'd consider putting her back with her hatchmates. Ducks really need each other when they are growing. If her legs seem week you can help strengthen them by allowing her swim for 3-4 minutes in warm water that is shallow. So much is blamed on niacin but really it's just fast growth and lack of movement.

Thanks for the links I will check them out. I decided to separate her from the other ducklings she cheeped for a little bit but then she calmed down. I put a stuffed animal duckling in with her and now she’s cuddling against it. I will try giving her some mashed bananas hopefully they help. The other two seem fine they eat and drink a bunch. They stay in a little pen outside. I was thinking about giving her some electrolytes to maybe give her a boost. I read coconut water has a lot of electrolytes in it so I was wondering if ducklings can have coconut, and if so how much? Should I give her some extra heat? Would that do anything? I'm just going to keep an eye on her hopefully she gets better!
Thanks for the replies!!!😀
Keeping an eye on her is a very good idea but if she goes completely lame then she may never recover, using liquid B complex could possibly help her and it's a safe way to find out if it's a niacin deficiency or something else.

Back
Top Bottom