Niacin deficiency not getting better

HeatherMarieR

Chirping
Feb 27, 2015
Somerville, AL
I posted a few days ago about my Pekin duckling who appears to have a niacin deficiency. I started giving her much larger amounts of brewer's yeast, and today I got her some niacin. One of her legs looks almost normal now, but the other one almost looks worse. It's very swollen and bowed out. I'm really worried about her having permanent damage or dying. I tried to get a picture of her, but I couldn't get her to sit still or stand for long enough to get a clear one. Is there anything else I can do or am I just going to have to keep watching her to see how she does?

The best thing to do is to get her to a vet.

If the leg is warm it could be an infection.

Check the top of the leg for anything wrapped around it. Check carefully.

Do they have a good grippy surface to walk on? Is it possible she has splay leg?

She looks a little better this morning, and they have towels for bedding. It doesn't look like splay leg to me.
How old? glad to hear she is looking better today, if you've check for anything wrapped around the leg and found nothing then why not treat her to an Epsom salt water soak [nice warm water.] place the ES water in something small enough you can put the duckling in to soak but not big enough it can drink the water because ES is also a laxative. with my large ducks I use a dish pan they fill it up and I don't have to worry about them drinking the water, so something size appropriate for your duckling let it soak at least 5-10 min but not till water is cool because you don't want it to take a chill. also you can do ES wraps by making the solution and using a wash cloth dip it into the ES water wring out just so it's not dripping and wrap the leg hold as long as it stay warm. Do either of these for at least twice a day till you see improvement then you can go to 1X a day. and keep up with the BY or niacin till at least 10 weeks of age. and will not hurt any of your other ducklings. When I use a dish pan I use 1 cup of Epsom Salt to 1 gallon very warm water no hot enough to burn. you could also use something that you can stand your duckling in holding onto it of course I do both legs it's easier that way for me.

I think she's probably around 3 weeks old. I'll give that a try when I can get some Epsom salt. Thanks! I really think it's niacin since the one leg is getting better.

I think she's probably around 3 weeks old. I'll give that a try when I can get some Epsom salt. Thanks! I really think it's niacin since the one leg is getting better.
Most likely but when you said swollen and bowed out made me think possibly and injury. You should see improvement pretty quick if a niacin dif.

Keep up the niacin and hopefully you have caught it soon enough. Some recover fully and some do not, but if you see improvement, that is very promising.

Thanks! I really hope that's the problem and that there's not something else. My mom has some Epsom salt so I'll soak a cloth in some and wrap it around her leg for a little bit when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom