niacin deficiency?

3eyondblessed

Chirping
Sep 19, 2023
My male Runner\Cayuga Duck has become very skinny, and wobbly, and i’m curious to if this is a niacin deficiency? They are currently on the nutrena all flock crumble. If this is a niacin deficiency what brewers yeast should I give him? TIA

Nutrena All Flock **should** have enough Niacin to support and adult duck of most breeds. Very skinny is not one of the typical symptoms of niacin deficiency.

That said, there is no downside to briefly offering a bit of yeast with the feed to up both the protein and niacin content. Any supermarket yeast will do - simply turn to the back and look to ensure it has included niacin on the nutritional label - from that, you will be able to calculate dosing.

and no, I don't think its niacin deficiency, but while you are dosing, you can keep a close eye on your bird and look for other symptoms that may help dial in a diagnosis. Start with the poops. Bird poops don't lie.

Nutrena All Flock **should** have enough Niacin to support and adult duck of most breeds. Very skinny is not one of the typical symptoms of niacin deficiency.

That said, there is no downside to briefly offering a bit of yeast with the feed to up both the protein and niacin content. Any supermarket yeast will do - simply turn to the back and look to ensure it has included niacin on the nutritional label - from that, you will be able to calculate dosing.

and no, I don't think its niacin deficiency, but while you are dosing, you can keep a close eye on your bird and look for other symptoms that may help dial in a diagnosis. Start with the poops. Bird poops don't lie.
Thank you very much!

What one would you suggest using out of these 2? Thank you so much.

Attachments

• IMG_2870.jpeg
    IMG_2870.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2869.jpeg
    IMG_2869.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 2
Niacin issues usually show signs in the legs
To skinny comes after they are unable to walk to feed and water
Nutritional yeast is much better for niacin
But if a serious problem is happening then durvet B complex is what’s needed
Could you try an all flock vitamin
Rooster booster , poultry cell ect
Some go in the water
Others in the feed
Do you have other birds ? If so are any keeping him from feed ?

Niacin issues usually show signs in the legs
To skinny comes after they are unable to walk to feed and water
Nutritional yeast is much better for niacin
But if a serious problem is happening then durvet B complex is what’s needed
Could you try an all flock vitamin
Rooster booster , poultry cell ect
Some go in the water
Others in the feed
Do you have other birds ? If so are any keeping him from feed ?
I have him in a pen with 2 roosters, and then 2 female ducks, I always make sure I see them all eat. He has been eating, drinking, and playing in the water. I’ve just became concerned after he’s become skinny, and doesnt move as fast as he has in the past. I also noticed that he isn’t “as waterproof?” Thank you for the help, its very much appreciated!

I thought of it to be a niacin issue, after his hocks became big and once he got wobbly
Okay. If his legs were the first symptom it’s very possible
Grab durvet vitamin B complex.
It says injectable for cattle but ducks we give 1ml orally. Either on a small treat or by syringe
Once daily till you see a full improvement
Then go an extra week to make sure
Also start adding nutritional yeast to feed on a regular basis
With my adults I sprinkle it on the feed. With young ir those having leg issues I do 1 tbs to 1 cup feed
If this is niacin it can take time to see improvements so don’t give up after 1-2 weeks
It can take 1-4 usually depending how bad it’s got

Back
Top Bottom