Niacin deficient duckling

Agree with everyone above - start the liquid vitamin B ASAP and you can add it to water and food. You can't overdose them and it's fine for both ducks to get it! What is your baby's issue? Is she having trouble standing and walking, or pigeon-toed, splay-legged? If she has splay leg and has a hard time getting up and getting around you can use vet wrap or first aid tape - the stretchy stuff that sticks to itself - to pull her legs into proper position and hold them there. That will help her develop normally as she strengthens her legs. I had my pekin in hobbles for 2-3 weeks last spring and it helped her immensely.

Agree with everyone above - start the liquid vitamin B ASAP and you can add it to water and food. You can't overdose them and it's fine for both ducks to get it! What is your baby's issue? Is she having trouble standing and walking, or pigeon-toed, splay-legged? If she has splay leg and has a hard time getting up and getting around you can use vet wrap or first aid tape - the stretchy stuff that sticks to itself - to pull her legs into proper position and hold them there. That will help her develop normally as she strengthens her legs. I had my pekin in hobbles for 2-3 weeks last spring and it helped her immensely.
Having trouble walking and standing, kinda stumbling to get food and water but stays laying in the corner otherwise

Would I give anything extra to the sick one?

Nope, 1ml for each duckling over treats. From what I've heard, thiamine(B1) can have negative effects on ducklings if they are given too much, besides the point giving more then the dose we recommend would just make there crap worth more money.

I have a 5-6 week old pekin duck with what appears to be a niacin deficiency( according to what I've googled) I purchased durvet vitamins and electrolytes and started adding the recommended dosage to the water, I am wondering if I need to give more than recommended as a boost, start brewers yeast instead or if the combination of the vitamins and brewers yeast is safe. I am a first time duck mom and worried about this baby.

I'm a first time duckling mother too. My 4 ducklings are about the same age. I was giving mine 1 1/2 tablespoons of brewer's yeast per cup of feed. I started this their first week. I was doing it one, sometimes twice a day. I've cut back on it though since I've been feeding them greens, peas, smushed grapes, little bites of apple, and mealworms. They really aren't into the starter feed anymore since they've had REAL food. I've been watching their bills and legs. I started giving the ducklings and chicks breakfast in the morning of rolled oats, starter feed, apple sauce, and banana all mixed up. I got the idea from one member on here, I'm not sure who it was. I know she said she would give it to her hens for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom