Niacin dosage for baby ducks?

djstanczak

Songster
Mar 31, 2017
Ok I have the correct kind of niacin in 100mg Jel caps my question is how many capsules to a gallon of water and how many days a week?
The ducklings are almost 2 weeks

I'm not sure on the gel caps. Always use brewer's yeast and put it in food everytime I fed them till they moved out doors. If you don't hear back on here ask on duck thread. They are all super helpful!

I'm not sure on the gel caps. Always use brewer's yeast and put it in food everytime I fed them till they moved out doors. If you don't hear back on here ask on duck thread. They are all super helpful!
We were wondering when to stop supplementing. We add BY to every feeding. At 5 weeks, they are about to move outdoors. Should we continue with BY?

If I understand correctly once they go outside they should be able to get it in the plants and such they eat. I was worried about it with some Muscovy babies that were outside being raised by mom but was told on here that they wouldn't need to get it from me. Are they free ranging? Mine went out at 6 weeks and I haven't added it since and everyone is doing great. I'll look around to double check though.

If I understand correctly once they go outside they should be able to get it in the plants and such they eat. I was worried about it with some Muscovy babies that were outside being raised by mom but was told on here that they wouldn't need to get it from me. Are they free ranging? Mine went out at 6 weeks and I haven't added it since and everyone is doing great. I'll look around to double check though.
They will not be free ranging for the next week or so, but they will have access to their outdoor run. We'll keep up BY for now.

Use the niacin til about 10 weeks old to make sure they are getting as they learn good forage skills. They need 100 to 150 mg a day so not sure of how many you would put in a gallon. Do they drink full gallon each day? I use nutritional yeast and it's 98mg and dosage is 1 Tbsp per cup of feed. Hopefully someone will check in that has experience with gel caps. I will do some research and see what I can find out

Last edited:
Ok just researched this it's about 100 mg per gallon of water...so just open one up and squeeze it in gallon of water..don't worry if doesn't fully dissolve that's ok.

Back
Top Bottom