Niacin...duck in poor condition

Update- there has been some improvement. I actually had a great talk with the pharmacist. The brewers yeast they carried only had 2mg of niacin! She said to get to the 109mg, I would have to use the entire bottle. It was in tablet form. She spent a long timr looking up available options, and even checked BYC! Anyway, we settled on s liquid B complex, niacin is a bit low in it, but she helped figure out dosage, do as not to overdue the B's, but boost the niacin. I can't say enough good things about her for taking so much time to help! The ducklings are walking, rather than scooting . they are not walking great or far yet, but it is improvement! I hadn't realized the jumbos were bred as meat birds.
So now I wonder if its best to mentally treat them as such instead of pets. I have my hens, and then we raise meaties. Very different mental game with that for me.
Thank you all again for all of your assistance,!! Once again BYC to the rescue! Thank you!

Update- there has been some improvement. I actually had a great talk with the pharmacist. The brewers yeast they carried only had 2mg of niacin! She said to get to the 109mg, I would have to use the entire bottle. It was in tablet form. She spent a long timr looking up available options, and even checked BYC! Anyway, we settled on s liquid B complex, niacin is a bit low in it, but she helped figure out dosage, do as not to overdue the B's, but boost the niacin. I can't say enough good things about her for taking so much time to help! The ducklings are walking, rather than scooting . they are not walking great or far yet, but it is improvement! I hadn't realized the jumbos were bred as meat birds.
So now I wonder if its best to mentally treat them as such instead of pets. I have my hens, and then we raise meaties. Very different mental game with that for me.
Thank you all again for all of your assistance,!! Once again BYC to the rescue! Thank you!

That's great to hear!! So glad you found good help there and that they are improving... baby steps is just fine as long as they keep going forward! ;)

It's unfortunate that Jumbos aren't labeled properly with all the needed info provided when they are sold... whichever way you choose to deal with them, I wish you good luck with their continued improvement and health... :)

That's great to hear!! So glad you found good help there and that they are improving... baby steps is just fine as long as they keep going forward! ;)

It's unfortunate that Jumbos aren't labeled properly with all the needed info provided when they are sold... whichever way you choose to deal with them, I wish you good luck with their continued improvement and health... :)

Theses were not labeled as jumbo, heck they were labeled ",ducks" ... I will keep up with the b complex, if it seems to really work I'll post a pix of it. Maybe it will help another. Its liquid, so its easy to add to the water.

Theses were not labeled as jumbo, heck they were labeled ",ducks" ... I will keep up with the b complex, if it seems to really work I'll post a pix of it. Maybe it will help another. Its liquid, so its easy to add to the water.
Some here keep Jumbos as pets. @flossyfelix Has a Jumbo Pekin drake. so it can be done you just have to keep them from getting too heavy since that can add to leg issues just like your meat birds .

Great to hear about the pharmacist going the extra mile to help you which also helps us. Hope you see great improvements over these next few days.
smile.png

Some here keep Jumbos as pets. @flossyfelix
   Has a Jumbo Pekin drake. so it can be done you just have to keep them from getting too heavy since that can add to leg issues just like your meat birds .

Great to hear about the pharmacist going the extra mile to help you which also helps us.  Hope you see great improvements over these next few days. :)

OK, not much improvement. Back to scooting a bit. Brewers yeast actually only had 2mg of niacin... Could something else be wrong?

Is is only difficulty walking more than a foot or two, they eat drink, act normal on all other respects. No signs of illness, they walk a few steps, then start walking on the knees?? Lower leg is in contact with the ground.

Is is only difficulty walking more than a foot or two, they eat drink, act normal on all other respects. No signs of illness, they walk a few steps, then start walking on the knees?? Lower leg is in contact with the ground.
That is so sad. Maybe contact some place like Metzers and ask them if they think this is just because of them being Jumbo. Maybe they can give you some advise.

Back
Top Bottom