Niacin supplements

mommissan

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Adirondacks
Hi all. I hatched 4 ducks in my incubator last week, 2 Pekins and 2 Ancona/Pekins. They were doing great until this morning.
I have a confession.
hide.gif
I did not buy starter for them. I ground a variety of high end breakfast grains for them and added minced organic baby greens. It is a mix of quinoa, amaranth, oats and millet. I knew there was a risk of niacin deficiency, and this morning, they were lethargic and not willing to walk around much. At first, I blamed it on the empty waterer. They emptied a quart overnight. Then, after some research, I realize (conceded) that they were showing symptoms of niacin deficiency.

Here's my question. I stopped at our local drugstore and bought B complex tablets.

Thiamine 1.5 mg
Riboflavin 1.7 mg
Niacin 20 mg
Vitamin B-6 2 mg
Folic Acid 400 mcg
Vitamin B-12 6 mcg
Calcium 35 mg

I crushed one up into a quart of water to jump start them, until my feed store is open tomorrow. Is there any ingredient here that is harmful or lethal? I can't find anywhere that it really is. If I get chick starter, am I any better off? Should I get duck starter?

They are looking better right now. They've drank about a pint so far..... or more like bathed in and tossed it all over the brooder floor and walls.

Thanks

If you continue to mix your own grains, think about adding cracked/crushed wheat. It is highly nutritious. I have personally always used a chick or poultry starter and supplemented with free range, scraps, etc because I was always worried about deficiencies and poor growth.
I think you should be OK with that supplement, but I am not an expert. However, those are all B vitamins, which are water soluble, which I know means that the human body can flush through with water what it does not need/excess.

Go get yourself some nutritional yeast. That is what I like. It's all natural food/flake available at health food stores that is chock full of all B vitamins. I mix it with the food. You can eat it too. Tastes great on popcorn! Hope this helps.

~ Dani

My fear is that those vitamins are too potent for tiny little ducklings as they were made for giant humans, regardless of the water-soluable trait. This is because most vitamins are chemicals, not foods like herbs are which makes them safe in their unprocessed form.

Thanks Funniducki1. Nutritional yeast... is brewers yeast? Cracked/crushed wheat from the feed store or grocer?

I'm not a fan of chemical nutrition either. I bought this in a pinch to give them a jump start. I think it will take a few days before I see any big improvements.

Just out of curiosity, how much niacin do worms provide? I vermicompost. I gave them a half dozen red wigglers today. They tasted them and flung them all over at first, but after an hour, there were none to be found anywhere.

I feel badly that I didn't do much research on what grains to grind up and what percentages of nutrients I was providing. I was hoping to mimic foraging to some extent. I pretty much ground up all my favorite "cereal". It wasn't cheap, that's for sure. I rattled my head awhile and saw the only thing really lacking was bugs. There's a few articles out there, but they're vague.

I know the starter is all calculated and so easy to use. I just wanted to lessen our dependence on corn and soy, and get back to a more varied diet, for ALL of us.

And, liver is among the top foods high in niacin. Uhm, no. Not ready to leave liver laying around the brooder. They're messy enough.
sickbyc.gif

Hi, sorry to gate crash this thread but I have a lame duck coming up to 2yrs old. She's had a slight limp but over the weekend it has got worse and now she's not standing.
I have kept her confined with her "sister" who is fine,there is no sign of injury or swelling.On googling "duck with a limp" over the weekend, I've done LOTS of reading and I found this site!!
smile.png

Hello
frow.gif
all.

I was wondering if she may have a niacin defficiency?!?
I hand fed her a marmite sandwich yesterday as I had no niacin, would niacin enriched unsugaed breakfast cereal be of any benefit?
Will get some brewers yeast today. Can you over dose them?

Sorry I have so many questions...and this is my first Thread.

Liver.... do you feed it cooked or raw?

Looking forward to some suggestions and replies.

May thanks in anticipation, Amanda

Back
Top Bottom