Niacin supplements

Welcome!

Have you been able to hold her and carefully examine her foot and leg and the top of the leg with eyes and hands? Any extra warmth? She may have the beginnings of bumblefoot, may be something else.

In any case, I would give her Epsom salts compresses on the foot and leg twice a day and see how she's doing in three or four days.

If you want to feed liver, I am not sure I would give very much at all, and I would first freeze it, then feed just a little bit without cooking. But if she's two years old, I don't know that it would be a niacin deficiency. That's generally a duckling problem. That said, ducks are little individuals, so I would not rule anything out.

Hi again.

I've had her in deep warm water in the bath tub for a couple of hours and she paddles up and down using both feet but the left paddle is stronger than the right. I wrapped her in a towel to dry her off laid her on her back and had a good examination of her...... no sign of anything significant, no growths no scratches no heat, it's a mystery.
She is currently snoozing on a rug in the kitchen, when she wakes up I'll put her back out in her pen with her sister.

I guess I just have to keep up the TLC and hopefully she'll recover with time, rest and a varied diet.
Will report back if there are any developements.

Many thanks.

when she started to limp..did she have anything happen to her? Have you looked at the leg she's limping on to see if there is damage to the leg? is she acting different..eating ok..? if she got any cuts on her feet, maybe bumble foot? i'm not sure with out more info on why she would have started to limp in the first place..or just out of the blue?

Hi, No, I hadn't seen any"accident" she may have had but she free ranges with 10 others and ducks are such clumsy darlings that occasionally one or other may have a slight limp from time to time but are usually back to normal in 24 hrs or so. The ground they're on is about 1/2 acre of my garden so mostly lawn and specimen trees,not much to trip them up!
But they're as clumsy as a boisterous 2 yr old!!!
Going to the chemist this morning to get some Epsom salts and give that a go for a couple of days to see if there is any improvement if not it's off to the vets I guess. I don't want to lose my "Daisy Duke" she's a such a character and so friendly it's sad to see her off her feet.
She still eats well and I'm getting an egg everyday still, so I think she's feeling OK in her self.

I had a duck years ago that had artheritis, we had to give him a half an asprin each day ( mind you this was years ago and i'm sure the vet would maybe do something different..lol) but he limped around for years. HOpe daisy duke is ok:)

Thank you.
I gave her another deep bath today she played in that for a couple of hours then I dangled her legs in Epsom salts solution for about 15 minutes, dried her off let her dry out and have a preen (she was very vocal, unlike the last few days!) then put her back outside in the sunshine.
Yesterday she remained where I put her until I put her to bed last evening. Today she has moved so I'm hoping that she's feeling better and on the road to recovery.
Watch this space...

Okay, after adding B-complex tablets to their water for the last 3 days, they are now at least able to hobble around. Now, I think one is an Ancona, another is Ancona/Pekin, and the other two are Pekins. The Ancona/Pekin (I'm guessing) is the smallest and has shown no symptoms of niacin deficiency. The Ancona is a little slower, but appears almost fully recovered, while the Pekins are now able to hobble around. The three ducklings that did have symptoms, now have these wrinkled bills, and an underbite. Is this also a symptom?

I bought a small bag of Manna Pro Wild Game starter and a small bag of Brewers yeast to add to their feed. Should I also continue the B-complex in their water too or will that be too much? Will they fully recover? What's up with the wrinkled bills?

I thought this would be as easy as the chicks.....
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom