Niacin supplements

A good start is waterfowl starter crumbles for the first two or three weeks, slowly switching over to a duck grower feed. But those are not always available.

At four weeks, I would start them with some grower feed, and a poultry vitamin mix once a week. You can feed them worms - I brought mine slugs sometimes. They will need a little chick-sized grit before eating regular food. Clean play sand, a teaspoon on top of their food, is a step in the right direction. If you can get them outdoors they will pick some up from digging around in the dirt. You just don't want them digging around if there has been any fertilizer or pesticide put out.

Many of us think niacin is a good idea if you cannot find duck food. Chick food doesn't have enough niacin for optimal duckling health. It helps their legs and nervous system grow right.

Update:
I have been giving Daisy Duke a deep bath tub of luke warm water to swim in everyday for an hour minimum as physiotherapy, followed by a 15 minute leg soak in Epsom Salts solution and we are now 6 days on and she can stand properly and can walk a short distance but is still limping but that is a masive improvement on 8 days ago when she didn't/couldn't move on her own 2 feet! So it would appear that all this TLC is working
smile.png

Just hope I'm not speaking too soon!

Update: 7 Days on...

Daisy Duke now getting in and out of her house unaided.
I stopped the Epsom Salts treatment 3 days ago, she still walks with a pronounced limp and I'm
allowing her one hours free ranging everyday, a swim and spending the rest of her day resting in her run.
She looks a lot happier now, still getting an egg a day and hoping that my next update can tell of her full recovery!
The days are getting longer and warmer now so I hope that will contribute to her progress.

Thanks for your support and interest, Amanda

P.S. Is it possible to put videos on here?

Update: 7 Days on...

Daisy Duke now getting in and out of her house unaided.
I stopped the Epsom Salts treatment 3 days ago, she still walks with a pronounced limp and I'm
allowing her one hours free ranging everyday, a swim and spending the rest of her day resting in her run.
She looks a lot happier now, still getting an egg a day and hoping that my next update can tell of her full recovery!
The days are getting longer and warmer now so I hope that will contribute to her progress.

Thanks for your support and interest, Amanda

P.S. Is it possible to put videos on here?
Great news,, and yes you can upload videos here.

Back
Top Bottom