Nice idea for visitors to your coop.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bantymum, Aug 29, 2007.

1. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,
    I went to a breeder's farm last week to buy some stock and
    one thing really impressed me::
    She offered me the use of her bathroom to wash my hands, after all I had been handling the bantams feet to check their toes!!!
    anyhow, her bathroom was set up like a powder room, nice feminine touches, flowers in a vase, visitors soaps in a dish, antibacterial soap in a dispenser, and fresh hand towels.
    Then she made me a nice pot of tea and offered me a piece of homemade slice.
    I now do the same for my visitors, though i havent had time to make a cake!
    How often have I gone to a place to check out chooks and carried cages to my car and never gave a thought to washing my hands first, yuk ,germs on my steering wheel.
    This really left a good impression on me as a buyer as she came across as someone who cared about hygiene , therefore her chickens are probably also in good care!
    I have now done the same to my bathroom, though my 9 year old son keeps me on my toes!
    Even if I dont trust a buyer/looker in my house I can always have a dispenser of handwash , outside sitting on a small table next to a tap!!!if no tap then use the all in one antiseptic that doesnt need rinsing!!!
    just had to share this.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What a great idea. I also bought a box of medical shoe covers. They sit at the coop door. NO ONE goes in there without them on thier shoes, and straigh to the trash when they come out. I know I dont like poo in MY truck, and I am sure others dont either. Besides, helps with biosecurity. Nothing in, nothing out!

3. bantymum

Hi Deb,
    thats exactly what i was going to buy today, some shoe covers for visitors, you never know the risks. better to be safe than sorry!

4. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    How nice - now if she was anywhere near my house - I'd be over every day at tea time!

5. bantymum

Yes, Lucy is Irish and she has little chicken pictures everywhere, it is a delight to go there, she has a great setup with all breeds of ducks and chooks.
    Lucy usually gets $100-$400 for top quality show stock but she is very caring to her chickens and treats them really well
    They all get to go for a run outside which must be a regimented thing.
    Lucy lives 2 hours away but its worth the drive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by