Nice Roosters

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
Is there any breed out there that has a reputation for being gentle? I have had really good luck with my first RIR roo but now i hear they are generally mean. I want to get a new roo so that my standard hens will be fertile. Does anyone have recommendations?

I know that. Its just that OEG, Sarama, etc for example are notoriously aggressive. (not meaning to knock anyone or anything) Are there some known to be gentle?

Quote:
Lol he got old and passed a couple years ago. Now we only have a d'uccle who has no authority over the bigger girls. They just walk off during his little dances.
hmm.png

I have a Modern Game Bantam Roo named Mojo that is prob one of the sweetest out of my flock of 18 and sweeter then some of the hens even he likes to sit in my lap and when I lean on the fence waching them he jumps up on top of the coop and lays down right next to my face.

It really depends on the individual strain. I raise OEGB and MGB, both of which are noted for mean males. My boys are very sweet, cocky as heck, but sugar sweet melt in your lap. lol. Generally, Dorkings, Cochins, Wyandottes, Silkies, D'Uccle, Shamos (varies greatly from strain to strain, they don't get along with other chickens), and Polish tend to be very sweet. But there will be exceptions.

Quote:
Agreed, my silkie roosters are not nice they peck sometimes when I pick them up they know better to flog me though.

Back
Top Bottom