1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nice to be here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kikiriki, May 26, 2011.

1. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    I bumped into your site several times as I've done chicken and coop research today, and I'm impressed enough to join. Good information, tolerance for newbies, and a friendly atmosphere make a great combination for learning. My family had chickens when I was young and I always enjoyed them as well as having fresh eggs. After visiting my sister and her husband at their farm, it made me start thinking about what I could do here at home. I love that chickens will eat veggie scraps and insects while providing useful manure and eggs so I want to start with one chicken as I relearn how to care for them.

I'm currently at a change point in my life, adapting to the idea of aging, and looking for gentle hobbies that won't keep me up with pain;)

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] Hi glad you joined byc [​IMG] there is lots of great people and info here.

3. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Hi! [​IMG] Welcome!! Long time lurker on these boards, new to posting here myself though too! Enjoy the forum!!

-Jessa

4. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Good luck with your birds.

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG]

And enjoy your chicken journey!

It would be best to start off with more than one chicken since they do prefer to be with each other.

Chickens do not like to be lonely and will thrive better and happier if you get more.

If space allows, start off with just 3 or 4 since the care will be the same as it is with just one chick.

[​IMG]

7. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from PA.

This is a great website and is filled with good information and lots of friendly people!

I agree that you should get more than 1 chicken as they are flock animals and will be much happier than if they were alone. Be careful of "chicken math" though! [​IMG]

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!!!!! [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by