Nicest most mellow rooster you can have?

Quote:
Now you see this part... I disagree with. I believe that you DO need to do the Flapping, Crowing and Pecking. And in order to get really good at it you need someone to critique your technique. So I suggest you not only practice your Flapping Crowing and pecking but that you video tape it and post a link here so we can help you get the finer techniques perfected so you can be the master of your domain. Please consider posting your ridiculous... erm.... I mean... wonderful performances here for our amusement... I mean er.... help. We are here for you.

lol.png

I have a buff Orp. roo and he is as sweet as can be.
I have always handled him and he runs to me
when I call his name Matilda...LoL
He was such a calm one I thought I was
going to have a lady. But he sure makes a good Dad.

wink.png

Quote:
I have a good Rooster. His name is Gandalf, and he's an EE.

I pretty much follow this advice with mine ( My daughter as well). I've never had him test me, he always keeps a respectable distance from me, but isn't terrified of me either. He's relaxed to a point around me. I've never babied him, and I won't do it to the younger ones I have now.
If on occassion he tries anything in front of me, he gets chased down, and carried around if necessary ( he hates being carried.
gig.gif
). If I'm bringing treats he waits until I let him have some.

Now my DH is another thing entirely.
gig.gif
He's out of the country a lot, so when he comes home, Gandalf will try things with him. We've showed DH what to do, and after a few days he leaves him alone.

Other than that, he's a great Roo, and keeps a very watchful eye on all the girls. He's been a pleasure to have around
smile.png

Bluemoon

Quote:
My cuckoo maran isn't quite like that but maybe he needs to grow up more he is just over 5 months. He is top Roo and does break up the other roos when they are out of hand and doesn't seem to be overly aggressive to the girls but doesn't show them food or let them eat first yet.

He has started going after my son and me a couple times and that is due to my 4 year old not listening. The 3 Andalusians on the other hand have been going after us for a while but this is due to the non listening child. One really got in trouble this week so got him in the coop and chased him around a bit till I caught him and sat with for an hour and had my son hold him some. Scratched the top of his head at base of comb and he fell alseep and next day when I caught him he just rested his head on my arm. He did crow twice that time don't know if that means anything or not.

I have 16 roos at current and this is what I have noticed with the others.
5 Cochins all get along together and are very mellow along with the 2 langshans the 2 blue boys stay with the blue girl most of the time and they hang out in the coop while everyone else free ranges.
2 white laced red cornish are on the bottom of the pecking order and do ok
Silver gray dorking has a couple fo girls he likes and is getting overly attentive
Golden polish just hangs out as does the sumatra

Last edited:
I once had two bantam cochin roosters at once. The white roo was mean as the devil and would attack anyone who came in the pen. The blue roo was sweet as a pup and would defend me from the white roo. Anytime the white roo came after me, the blue roo would get between us and put the white in his place. Funny that they were raised together, same breed, same size, but such different temperaments. I'll always swear by cochins and turkens to be the most gentle breeds, though, roosters or hens.

Back
Top Bottom