Nigerian Dwarf goat - could she be pregnant?

marshmellow

In the Brooder
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Hey all goat experts,

I am new to goats, we just recently bought 2 bucks (bottle babies) and a doe who was born on 08/08

After we had bought our doe sprinkle the previous owner told us she had recently given birth and the kid was still born.
She is naturally polled and he bred her with another naturally polled goat - not a good combo. He believes this was about 7 weeks ago.

Well after a week or so after giving birth he put her back in a pen with bucks and he said they were showing some interest in her.
He is not sure if she bred with the bucks or not.

As I am a newbie I have no idea how to tell if she is pregnant - I can see her udders but could that be from the previous kidding?

Is there anything else I can look out for? What steps do I need to take to ensure she is healthy if she is pregnant. It worries me as I can only assume that two pregnancies this close together can not be good for the poor girl.

Any advice you can give me is appreciated

thanks
Sabrina

The most common sign is failure to come back into her cycle. What kind of goat is she? Some goats are seasonal breeders and only breed from about Sept thru Feb, and others, like Nigerians, will breed year round. Keep an eye out for any kind of discharge and funny behavior that would tell you she is cycling.
She probably is bred. They usually have a heat 5-10 days after giving birth and then again three weeks after that. If she has been running with the bucks, I would bet money she is bred again.
No, it isn't good for her but take really good care of her and she should make it through. I would give her at least a 6 or 8 month rest after she delivers so she can rebuild her body condition.
While she is pregnant you can make sure she has plenty of Alfalfa...she'll need the calcium. Make sure she has free choice minerals, I'd give her a little BoSe if you are in a selinium deficient area.
Is she were mine, about a month before she kids I'd give her the CD&T shot, a shot of BoSe, and wormer. You should know its approx a month because she will start making an udder.
Use Ivermectin or Cydectin.....Valbazen is not good for pregnant does

Last edited:
i had a doe abort about a month ago and she hasn't come into heat yet, i'm not breeding her back until next fall due to the stress she has been under, thunderhill had some great advice follow it, also get some good goat loose mineral blocks don't work, personally i've found sweetlix meat maker is the absolute best! i've noticed a great change in their coats and they just feel better all over, they were all cutting a rusty in the yard yesterday jumping, running sideways even the little doe that lost the babies was going wild, they are so fun to watch, hope all goes well with your little doe, she's still a baby herself:)

I agree with Robin ( Thunderhill) on what she says. If by chance she did get bred make sure you keep her shots utd and worm her when she dont kid. That day...then I would let her have a good year before even thinking about breeding her again.
Is she in good health?
Check her eyelids, if they are pale she needs to be wormed.
Make sure she eating well and got good loose minerals as with blocks they dont get what they need from them.
Lots of hay and alfalfa hay or pellets as this will help with her bones and milk for the babies. even if she isnt pg it will help her rebuild the calcium she lost during the last 1.
If and when you worm her do it and then 10 days do again and the repeat 10 days later witha different type of wormer. this breaks any cycle of worms that she might have.
Good luck and sounds like you are already in love with her.

You've gotten great and complete advice from Robin & Kathy.

I just wanted to add that there's nothing bad about breeding polled to polled. The ONLY issue you MIGHT have is that (and I can't remember the percentages here) the kids could be hermaphrodites. There is good information about this if you google it.

doesn't that make the goat only 6 months old??? Could that be what happened. I am only in my second year raising goats so I have a lot to learn.....

Last edited:
WOW, yes it does. Oh this poor doeling!! THANK GOODNESS you have her now and will take care of her. No wonder her baby was stillborn She must have been in with bucks since she was born to get pregnant that early. The kid may have been premature. Does can be fertile around 7-8 weeks old.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your advice. I am so concerned about her, she is so sweet and it's such a shame she wasn't cared for properly. She seems so much happier already and we only have her a week! I never thought I could feel so much affection for livestock but I LOVE my goats!

Back
Top Bottom