Nigerian with dry skin

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mdoerge, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mdoerge

mdoerge Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    NE Ohio
    One of my ND goats has dry skin (white flakey dandruff). I noticed today that she has dry skin above her eyes (eyelids?) as well. They look a little crusty. I wasn't too worried about the dandruff, but the eyes have me a little concerned. This is my first winter with goats - is this normal?[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    May be lice, may be mineral issues. Might just be oily skin...

Treat for external parasites first. Make sure your mineral supplementation is correct. If all else fails, a good bath might be in order.

3. mdoerge

May 17, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Can they get lice in the winter? I'm in northern Ohio. My son just gave her a good brushing - we didn't see anything. Would I be able to see them? They always have access to loose goat minerals. What do you use to treat for lice?

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Lice are actually the WORST in the winter...

Look for the knits...little tiny white things attached to the base of the hair, like white pepper. Google "lice+goats" and there are images somewhere...

You can use ivermec (3-4 times, 7 days appart), Cylence lice treatment, or seven dust.

Also if it IS lice, treat where they sleep with the seven dust.

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Yep sounds like winter lice to me as the hair seems to disappear ...then the crustys, Yep treat them and where they all sleep and I mean all of the goats and change out bedding and treat with either sevin dust or zipcide or DE...I put DE where they sleep and treat mine with sevin dust...its a pain but like Kate said they are worse during the winter.

6. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Yup.. totally lice.. I too am in NE Ohio and this is the worst year I have ever dealt with the little vermin!! I have dusted, drenched and pour on during this winter. With the really bad weather we have had my goats have not left the barn which makes for great lice reproduction. I know too that also minerals do play a big part and if you don't have loose minerals out free choice by all means get some.. I use Sweetlix Meatmaker as it is readily available in my area, but I know hard to find in others.. I am keeping my fingers crossed that warm weather comes so I can do a thorough barn cleaning and goaties can go outside in sun/fresh air for once!

7. mdoerge

May 17, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Thanks everyone. Mine have spent way too much time in the barn this winter too. They have loose minerals always available, although I rarely see them eating any. Sevin dust - is that the same stuff you use in the garden? 5% or 10%? Do you just sprinkle it on them? I would imagine I need to avoid the eyes, nose, mouth. Ivermec? Is that ivermectin? What kind do you get?
    Is DE effective to dust the goats with in addition to their bedding? I do have that here. Should I use that now until I can get to the store to buy the Sevin dust? Sorry for all the questions - I'm obviously very new to all of this and truly appreciate all of your help.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  8. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    look up copper deficency in goats and get some sweetlix minerals, they are the best for goats:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by