Night Bully!

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
Good morning all. I'm on day 3 of integrating a buff orpington (Waffle - 3yr) and black orpington (Maple - 6tr) with my primary flock of 4 buff orpingtons. There has been a good bit of pecking and chasing but it does seem to be improving. While they tend to primary pick on Maple, Waffle is terrified of them. I've been putting them in the coop at night and it's been okay but not great. There has been some pecking and Waffle will then dive under Maple. This morning it looks like Waffle pushed Maple off of the roost and poor Maple slept on the side of the poop boards
2CAA8E9D0D1E_1610966445347.png

My question - do I intervene and put up a little curtain for now (seen in some other threads)? Or just let them figure it out? The pecking doesn't seem too bad and was mostly at Waffle's tail (seen on camera) but I'll check her out when I go out there this morning.

This whole integration thing is stressful. Despite reading all the articles about how stressful it is, I'm somehow surprised. Hopefully day 3 is a better day. We finished bird netting their whole run yesterday so while pecking order is reestablished (and the rain/snow holds off), I'm opening up their smaller roofed run door at the same time their coop door opens to minimize any disagrees over food as I've added in several feeders and waterers around the yard. I've cluttered up the chicken yard which really seems to help. The existing flock tends to get distracted while chasing them and will move on to investigate something else.

Any and all tips, suggestions, critiques are welcome! Thank you.

Good morning! I'm sure others will weigh in, but I think you're doing all the right things. I've integrated a few times and have to hold my nerve each time. As long as no one is getting injured and everyone can eat and drink, let them be. It does get better. :)

You need a bigger sleeping area with multiple roosts for your gals. They look kinda crowded in there. While some chickens like to cuddle next to each other there is always a few who'd rather sleep alone. My 15 gals have their little sleeping cliques. A few group together, one sleeps in a nest box, another sleeps on her private roost that nobody is allowed to be on. Since I have enough room, the gals eventually settle down for the night.

You need a bigger sleeping area with multiple roosts for your gals. They look kinda crowded in there. While some chickens like to cuddle next to each other there is always a few who'd rather sleep alone. My 15 gals have their little sleeping cliques. A few group together, one sleeps in a nest box, another sleeps on her private roost that nobody is allowed to be on. Since I have enough room, the gals eventually settle down for the night.

At the bottom right of the image there is a a Rosemary sleeping against a board. I'll be extending the roost bar there which should allow room for another two chickens to sleep (not adding anymore, this is maximum chicken). Have you found it beneficial to have roost bars at different heights?

It does indeed.

Did you just add the new birds without any 'look no touch' segregation?
No, I did the look but don't touch for about 3 weeks and then added in free range time together but back to separate coops at bed time.

I'll be extending the roost bar asap!

RoostTimeRumble is the most contentious part of the day...even with well established flocks.
Roost bar addition added (of course no one is on it) but I moved the primary night time bully to that end and she seems much happier, she has some space around her. Hopefully tonight is a more peaceful night.
2CAA8E95F77D_1611009605866.png

Back
Top Bottom