Night light for brooder box

Jfausnett

Hatching
Apr 18, 2020
Hi this is my first time with chicks. I was wondering since I am using a brooder heat plate for them to warm under and not a heat lamp do I need to provide a night light in the brooder box. Wasn't sure if they needed it to see in the dark to come out and eat or drink or to find their way back under if they come out for any reason. I just bought the chicks 2 days ago and some one day ago from tractor supply.

Thanks for all your help

Hi this is my first time with chicks. I was wondering since I am using a brooder heat plate for them to warm under and not a heat lamp do I need to provide a night light in the brooder box. Wasn't sure if they needed it to see in the dark to come out and eat or drink or to find their way back under if they come out for any reason. I just bought the chicks 2 days ago and some one day ago from tractor supply.

Thanks for all your help
No. It's much healthier for them to develop a natural circadian rhythm.
Think about it this way: A broody hen does not shove a night light under her skirts so the chicks and see to eat and drink at night. They sleep like she does.

No. It's much healthier for them to develop a natural circadian rhythm.
Think about it this way: A broody hen does not shove a night light under her skirts so the chicks and see to eat and drink at night. They sleep like she does.
Ok good so if I turn the lights out let's say 8pm and then back on at 8 am they should be fine for that long in the dark?

Thanks for your help

Ok good so if I turn the lights out let's say 8pm and then back on at 8 am they should be fine for that long in the dark?

Thanks for your help
Is there a window in the room they are in? If there is, move them close enough to it to get natural light. I'd turn the light off at 6 so they have a more gradual fade to dark as suspected settles. They don't like being plunged into sudden darkness.

Is there a window in the room they are in? If there is, move them close enough to it to get natural light. I'd turn the light off at 6 so they have a more gradual fade to dark as suspected settles. They don't like being plunged into sudden darkness.
Ok yeah the wre right in front of a window it's a darker side of the house so it would start getting darker there earlier around 6 and its usually around 8 or after before light comes in good at that window

That's fine. Having a natural night and day is best so the chicks have time to bed down under their heat source before it gets too dark. They'll be much more quiet at night as well.

Back
Top Bottom