night light for coop?

chicks246

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2021
New York
My chicks have been outside in their coop for 2 nights now, and they seem fine, except for going into the enclosed upper part of their coop at night. they haven’t been in a fully dark space until yesterday, and they were freaking out. tonight we tried putting a little night light in and they seem to gravitate more towards the upper part of their coop. should we keep the light in or try to adjust them to the dark? the light doesn’t give off heat, but they seem to like it.

Is there little to no natural light inside the coop? If so, you'll need artificial light in there to lure them in at sunset, but they really should have darkness at night to get a good night's rest. If they're not used to being in the dark at night, they'll need an adjustment period to get used to it, which may mean some fussing and complaining for a few nights.

My chicks have been outside in their coop for 2 nights now, and they seem fine, except for going into the enclosed upper part of their coop at night. they haven’t been in a fully dark space until yesterday, and they were freaking out. tonight we tried putting a little night light in and they seem to gravitate more towards the upper part of their coop. should we keep the light in or try to adjust them to the dark? the light doesn’t give off heat, but they seem to like it.
They need to adjust to the dark. Poor things. Few sounds are sadder than chicks in distress - especially to new chicken parents!

I use a light sensor nightlight inside coops.
I turn it off when I lockup the coops after sunset.
20190527_203434_resized.jpg

Both of my coops have east facing windows, no windows on the west side, so it's dark inside before sunset. GC

Is there little to no natural light inside the coop? If so, you'll need artificial light in there to lure them in at sunset, but they really should have darkness at night to get a good night's rest. If they're not used to being in the dark at night, they'll need an adjustment period to get used to it, which may mean some fussing and complaining for a few nights.
when the sun starts to set it’s basically pitch black in the coop, they have a door with a ramp and they sat there last night. we’ve been putting them into the enclosed part and once it’s dark out they’ll stay in it.

when the sun starts to set it’s basically pitch black in the coop,
It sounds like you might benefit from some type of window so natural light can get in. I don't know what your coop looks like so I can't make specific suggestions. It doesn't have to be a real glass window that opens and all that, just a piece of Plexiglas or something similar could work. Or for better ventilation, cut a hole in a good location and cover it with hardware cloth, hopefully in a place rain doesn't blow in.

they haven’t been in a fully dark space until yesterday, and they were freaking out.
This is a typical reaction the first time they are in real dark. Some people train them for this in the brooder by turning the lights out for a bit, then turning the lights back on, gradually letting the dark spell last a bit longer. I just let them complain. They are not going to be traumatized, they are not going to hate you and hold a grudge. They'll simply get over it in a few minutes. Chickens may hate change but they are still very adjustable.

should i close the door to the ramp once they’re in? their food and water is on the lower level.
The typical reason to close the door is predator protection. If you consider your run predator proof there is no reason to lock the door. Many people don't lock it. I do, my run is not totally predator safe.

If you do not have food and water where they can get to it you need to open the door reasonably early, mine usually wake up hungry more than thirsty. Very hungry. You live in New York so in winter you get some really long nights and they don't eat when it is dark. It's not like they are going to die or suffer if they aren't able to eat or drink immediately when they wake up after the short nights of summer so you don't have to be there as soon as the sun comes up. If you leave the door open where they can get to the food you can relax and be later to open up. I don't know what you would consider reasonably early.

should i close the door to the ramp once they’re in? their food and water is on the lower level.
I close the pop door on my coops because my pens aren't predator proof (raccoons in particular) they are very good climbers.
I have feed and water in my coops 24/7, so if I forget to set my alarm before sunrise (5 am) the chickens can eat at first light with the east facing windows.

It sounds like you may have a prefab coop.
I wouldn't leave the ramp door open on your coop. Raccoons can pull away fencing stapled to wood. GC

Back
Top Bottom