Night watch-DOG?

Our Rottweiler & Golden Retriever took some time to figure out that chickens are not to chase. We had beautiful Polish rooster who was the best watch dog (rooster). He just stood his ground & they backed down. No problem since!

Last edited:
I have a Blue Heeler that watches my chickens.Those of you that have heelers know how they are. Cody picked up on my signs,THAT YOU BETTER LOOK THE OTHER WAY,When it comes to my chickens. He has gotten to the point where he will not even let people he knows around them.He knows how much I love them. He was the same way with my kids. We all know dogs are teritorial,but they see how much you love your birds & they will too. Some dogs ofcourse can not resist. Pet That good boy on his head for me!

Quote:
I have blue heeler/husky mix that patrols (or herds) around our birds. We had two minor incidents regarding birds being chew toys. I caught Bitzer in the coop one day and we had a come-to-Jesus talk... now they're all friends.

107243_photojpgopt430x321o00s430x321.jpg

My dogs keep watch too, and did from the beginning! My poodle (yes, I know, not a very good sized watch dog, but she does her job), she will break up fights between the chickens by just going over and walking in the middle. She is like a referee. She hates conflict
lau.gif

86ec50b0.jpg

99c676b4.jpg

I've caught her sneaking out of our front fenced in yard (for dogs) to sneak over to the chickens and eat their leftover goodies
gig.gif

Those are her chickens as far as she is concerned. Not one ounce of aggression has been showed in relation to the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom