Nighttime temps

leight54

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Southwest New Hampshire
My chicks are 5 weeks old now, and I'd like to get them into the coop within a couple weeks. I'm going on a trip in about 3 weeks, will be gone for 2 weeks or more. I will have someone coming in twice a day to check on them (and the cat).

So my question is, at 7 weeks old, what is the lowest nighttime temperature at which they'll be ok? My coop is 4' x 6', and I only have 2 chicks. I don't have electricity in the coop. I suppose I could run an extension cord, but that scares me, since we won't be home. Also, I wouldn't be able to use the red light, because that would draw the attention of my neighbors, and I'm not ready to do that..... How much heat does a regular lightbulb put out? What watt would be effective, if the temp goes down to, say, the 30's (quite possible, here in NH)

The coop has several windows, perhaps I should cover some of them so it isn't too drafty? I hate that I will have to put them out, and shortly after go out of town, and not be able to observe how they're doing - although my pet sitter is very good about spending time with the pets, and will let me know of any concerns.

To sum up:
1) At 6-7 weeks, what is minimum temperature (Ameraucana and Partridge Chanticler)?
2) What watt regular lightbulb is needed for heat?

Quote:
I have 29 chicks that range in age from 4 to 6 weeks and I moved them from the plastic tub that doubled as a brooder to a smaller section of their coop the 2nd week I had them. The night time temps were around 60°, other than the couple of nights it dropped to the lower 40s. I had a brooder light with a 100 watt bulb turned on, except for the two coldest nights, when I used a 250 watt heat bulb. They did just fine and would move away from the light if it was too warm.

How cold does it get in New Hampshire during this time of the year? The main difference between your chicks and mine is that you only have 2. They may find it harder to huddle together for warmth.

I've lived here for less than a year, so this is my first Spring. I checked the records, though, and average low nighttime temperatures are mid-50's. But the weather so far since I've been here has NOT been average. Record low's have been in the 30's and 40's, so it's possible!

Quote:
I would invest in a brooder lamp with a 100 watt bulb. Hang it up so they can feel the heat and be out of a draft and if they get too hot, they will move further away from the lamp. That's what I did, using an extension cord ran out of my garage. I think they will do just fine. You could always get them some buddies to keep them company.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom