Nine day old chicks and momma

Shermanonthefarm

Hatching
May 4, 2021
Chicks are nine days old. They’ve been segregated with momma in a section of the coop where the rest of the flock sees them every day - there are four other hens who mostly free range all day, lay and sleep in the coop. This is my first broody momma experience. The chicks are all healthy and active, mommas has been protective. She is the bottom of the flock order. Today, clearly, momma wants out of the nursery area. I’m sure the chicks would follow. Should I open the door separating the two areas? I’m pretty nervous...
BFEE0422-4042-44D2-AA58-C8DDD1C1A0C5.jpeg

How did this go?? I am in the same situation with my momma hen. She sits up on the roost away from her chicks now. Seems like she wants to escape to be with the flock. The other hens/rooster can see her and the chicks in the coop but have chicken wire btwn them.

Chicks are nine days old. They’ve been segregated with momma in a section of the coop where the rest of the flock sees them every day - there are four other hens who mostly free range all day, lay and sleep in the coop. This is my first broody momma experience. The chicks are all healthy and active, mommas has been protective. She is the bottom of the flock order. Today, clearly, momma wants out of the nursery area. I’m sure the chicks would follow. Should I open the door separating the two areas? I’m pretty nervous...View attachment 2649077
She will protect them.

Back
Top Bottom