Nine year old black lab....will he try and eat the chickens?

This ultimately comes down to the individual dog. Put him on a long lead and walk him near the chickens. How does he react? If he seems overly interested or excited it may be a problem. Some dogs naturally have a strong interest in prey.

As a child, I raised a flock of mixed chickens that free ranged with our family’s two Labradors (one was a hunter). Our dogs were extremely well trained since puppyhood and knew better than to harm my chickens. After several years, it was actually my Dad’s granular ant poison that killed my little flock- never the Labs. Now I have a Great Dane/Mutt cross that doesn’t give a darn about chickens of any size.

I am so glad I found this thread! We have a 12-year-old Aussie who loves the chickens. She guards our chicks when they are free-ranging. I trust her totally. I wanted to get a four-legged companion for her and was considering a yellow lab that is at the humane society. I was planning to go back there tomorrow until I read this. Thanks for saving my chickies!

I'mnewtothis :

We have a shepherd mix and a cattle dog. We NEVER let them in with the chickens. They both fly to the run to check out the chickens behind the fencing. After a couple of seconds the shepherd moves on, but the cattle dog will pace around the fencing. Neither try and get to the chickens, but I bet if we opened the gate they would chase and catch all the chickens. We are never going to let them meet without fencing between both.

This would probably be the best case situation i could look forward to.

I have a neighbor with a couple of flocks so ill see if i can arrange bringing a few of them to my house for a little while.​

If your dog is very well trained then by all means go for it.
My 8 year old black lab is a retired Service Dog and I leave him out all day in the run with my flock.
He started slowing down at 3, now he is just pokey. He hardly ever gets the "zooms" or anything anymore but will round them up and put them to bed on command.
He sleeps flat out on his side in the middle of the run most days.

Funnily enough, the BEST chicken dog I have is my Chihuahua.
He is 6 months old and will get a specific bird away from the flock, "hold em" in one corner or whatnot for me to catch that one, and put them to bed at night.
He runs at them, snapping at their heels like a herding dog (only on command) but when he gets too close to one (right in front of his face) he "shuts down" and just stands there. He's amazing. My husband dies laughing watching him "work". He has never put his mouth on one or tried to grab it or anything. But I still wouldn't let him out there with them alone. Just that he has any kind of prey drive shows me that he has the capability to snap at one. I say "Max, hit the deck!" though and he calls off and hits the ground instantly in a down stay. He is so smart it isn't funny.
My lab has NO prey drive at all. Which is why I trust him. Squirrels and other small animals have walked right up to him and he doesn't move or make a sound. He just doesn't care. Couple that with his impeccable manners (rock solid recalls, leave its, directional commands, retrieves, downs, stays, sits, etc.) and I have a solid dog that I believe will never bother my birds.

Depends on the dog, the owner, and the training. I have 2 labs, one almost 12 the other almost 4. They both know who is boss. Luna, the younger yellow lab took a little more effort than Rocket, but I trust both with the adult chickens, ducks and guineas. I think baby birds would be more temptation but even without having dogs I wouldn't let those free range anyway, so for me it's not a problem.

Here's a couple photos.

Luna the 4 year old with Mr Duck

Rocket, my mellow 12 year old with guineas and Mr Duck.

I have a black lab. a beagle and a terrier. Our lab is a hunting breed as is my beagle. I have not lost a single chicken to my dogs. If anthing they watch my chickens. My beagle and lab go in the pen when I water and fed my girls. They are not aggressive towards them but they do have want to always try to eat their poo poo. We also have a no bark rule around coop A and Coop B (which is the nursary coop) I just watch the dogs like I do my kids, they know the chickens are suppose to be there. Now if we had a rabbit come around I bet they would all go after a rabbit lol. My vest can't belive my lab doesnt try to kill my chickens but he's a good boy.
smile.png

All I have to do is say "bunny" and Rocket's ears perk up and he goes to attention. Of course, he can't see well anymore so the bunnies are safe.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom