1. Chickymommy45

Chickymommy45 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2016
    Missouri
    Hello all!

My peepers are now cluckers- laid their first dozen and everything- I'm such a proud mommy!!

However, like most groups of sisters, one is always going to be the renegade. In our flock, it's Ms. Miyagi the buff Brahma.

Miyagi-san is a great layer, super sweet, but seems to have a wanderlust that cannot be quenched. At least three times a week, I'll come home to a missing bird. Every time, she's about two houses down from ours, pecking away happily in a neighbor's garden. She happily lets me catch her and bring her back, and then promptly lays an egg [​IMG]

We've clipped all of our ladies' wings (right wing only) and even did a touch-up when we had our first episode of escape recently. However, being the ninja she is, Miyagi-san keeps getting out! We cannot make the fences higher, so I'm wondering if I need to clip her feathers a bit shorter (without hitting blood of course) or if there is another means of keeping her from her ninja ways.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Ball and chain around her ankle? [​IMG] I jest, of course. How tall are your fences? I have always been a wing clipper of both rather than one wing. I've found on a shorter fence even with one wing clipped they can get enough upward thrust to reach the top...but not with both clipped. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by