Nipple/PVC waterer

R2RoW

Chirping
Apr 13, 2016
Currently I have a typical waterer set up for my 12 Chickens that consists of a dome. I change the water every couple days. I have seen the nipple waterers that are attached to a pvc pipe then to either a garden hose or some kind of bucket or barrel. My question is: Do you need to flush out the pvc pipe every so often? Does the inside of the pvc pipe get green/dirty?

Currently I have a typical waterer set up for my 12 Chickens that consists of a dome. I change the water every couple days. I have seen the nipple waterers that are attached to a pvc pipe then to either a garden hose or some kind of bucket or barrel. My question is: Do you need to flush out the pvc pipe every so often? Does the inside of the pvc pipe get green/dirty?
I flush mine ever three weeks or so--but it may not be necessary. I use a 5 gal bucket and 1/2" tubing to feed mine and the bucket and tubing needs cleaning more often that the pipe.

I have a bucket nipple waterer. I spray out the bucket really good when I refill it because our outside water is not as clean and leaves a dirty film on the bottom of the bucket. I've heard of people putting a little apple cider vinegar in the water to help prevent algae and bacteria, plus it has health benefits, but I haven't done it.

Hi, I am new to chickens. Do you have to train and if so howthe chicks to use the water nipples?
Take one or two of the chicks, as I start mine at day old, and click their beak against the nipple. Once they drink, they understand the game and will teach others. Hopefully not bad habits... Had one group of birds that would peck the nipples until they formed a puddle on the ground then drink from the puddle. A really messy batch of birds.

Hi, I am new to chickens. Do you have to train and if so howthe chicks to use the water nipples?
I wish someone had taken me by the shoulders right from the get go and told me to get over my worries about nipple waterers because now i'm cursing over having ever used anything else, they are amazing. the chicks tend to pick it up right away. red is a color that they are attracted to and peck readily and eventually they hit that little steal post and some water comes out and bam, they figure it out.

I tried the nipples. They are okay for outside watering, but I did not like them for inside watering (during winter). I have a wood floor in my coop & they would leak & make a mess. Early this spring, I was at my local farm store & bought a container that had the cup waters. The cup didn't leak, but my hens would sit on top of the container & poop in the cups. Cups were hard to clean out all the time. Now (This week) I'm rigged up a new system. I bought a Bergan automatic dog waterer (picture below). It is suppose to hook to your garden hose, but I did something different. I rigged up a 5 gallon bucket with a spicket on it. Hung the bucket from the ceiling & ran the garden hose to the automatic dog waterer. I built a platform for the waterer to sit on, so the bowl would be chest high to the birds. Ive been using it for the last 2 days and it seems to be working great.

Attachments

• Dog Water 2.jpg
    Dog Water 2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom