gvuyhiop

Hatching
Apr 13, 2019
There is this trend in the chicken world for these nipple system waterers:
Chicken+Fountain+Irene.JPG

[Source]

There are many kits to make them online [example]

However, I have some questions:
  • Can chickens actually get enough water out of these? One of their big pros (possibly con too) is that they very slowly let water drip.
  • Do they leak?
  • What do ya'll think?

The chickens get plenty of water, I used to have that worry too. The water stays clean. Occasionally a nipple will leak, so just change it out.

I couldn't get mine to drink out of a nipple waterer, but they love the heated water bottles. They drink quite a bit, so I believe they are getting enough and it doesn't drip or leak either.

Yes they get enuf water, no they don't leak---I use them from day old chicks to adults. I put in small bottles for chicks, buckets for adults.
#3 drinking (3 of 1).jpg

There is this trend in the chicken world for these nipple system waterers:
Chicken+Fountain+Irene.JPG

[Source]

There are many kits to make them online [example]

However, I have some questions:
  • Can chickens actually get enough water out of these? One of their big pros (possibly con too) is that they very slowly let water drip.
  • Do they leak?
  • What do ya'll think?
I tried them, but my chickens didn’t seem to like them and I felt like they weren’t getting enough water. I just gave up! Also I just like to get them fresh water and sometimes they like ice cubes in their water, LOL!

:welcome

If you add your general location to your profile, it will help us answer questions that are weather related, which are a lot. This water system will freeze in the winter, so you will need a back up plan when it turns cold.

One of their big pros (possibly con too) is that they very slowly let water drip.

That's a con to me. I don't want my waterer dripping. You will find quite a few people on here had/have problems with the vertical nipples.

I use horizontal nipples all year long, they get enough water, even in my NC summer climate. They don't drip on their own, and will not freeze, as long as you use a stock tank de icer in your container. There are some people on here, that use these nipples down to -20 and don't freeze.

Here is an article on my heated bucket. I use a 14 gallon drum in my run.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

14 gallon waterer.jpg

:welcome

If you add your general location to your profile, it will help us answer questions that are weather related, which are a lot. This water system will freeze in the winter, so you will need a back up plan when it turns cold.

That's a con to me. I don't want my waterer dripping. You will find quite a few people on here had/have problems with the vertical nipples.

I use horizontal nipples all year long, they get enough water, even in my NC summer climate. They don't drip on their own, and will not freeze, as long as you use a stock tank de icer in your container. There are some people on here, that use these nipples down to -20 and don't freeze.

Here is an article on my heated bucket. I use a 14 gallon drum in my run.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

View attachment 1737511

The cold is not much of an issue for me.
I live in Arizona:

life-storage-moving-to-phoenix-weather-2.png

[Source]

Our summers are very hot though many times breaching 115 F.

If you have any advice for heat that would be great. However, my current plan is to just put some frozen soda bottles in the water.

For cold, I've heard of some water heaters made for purposes like this.
Not certain how or if they work.

The cold is not much of an issue for me.
I live in Arizona:

life-storage-moving-to-phoenix-weather-2.png

[Source]

Our summers are very hot though many times breaching 115 F.

If you have any advice for heat that would be great. However, my current plan is to just put some frozen soda bottles in the water.

For cold, I've heard of some water heaters made for purposes like this.
Not certain how or if they work.

We use a bucket heating system for our horses and it's great. The chicken bucket heater is similar as far @s i can tell.

Back
Top Bottom