Nipple Waterer for ducks

We are moving our ducklings to there outside home soon. Where can I buy nipples for them to drink out of for their duck house? And how would I set them up? We can not leave water with them in the house due to the terrible conditioners it presents. They have a large pool outside, all day, for playing, dunking and drinking. But I can not find anything online for ducks. And where we live we can not find any supplies or food for ducks in any stores.

We are moving our ducklings to there outside home soon. Where can I buy nipples for them to drink out of for their duck house? And how would I set them up? We can not leave water with them in the house due to the terrible conditioners it presents. They have a large pool outside, all day, for playing, dunking and drinking. But I can not find anything online for ducks. And where we live we can not find any supplies or food for ducks in any stores.

I always seem to get in on these threads a couple years late but I have to agree with you, there are a lot of places that will sell you a duckling and maybe game bird feed but that"s where it ends. It is hard to find other duck supplies locally (at least around here). Personally, I prefer duck over chicken eggs and my Pekins outlay my Buff Orphingtons and RIR's. I am hoping that the nipple waters will work for the ducks as I am having problems keeping water thawed for them. A 5 gallon bucket heater works great for keeping a bucket thawed, it works for my pig waterer outside and the duck bucket will be inside!

We have nipple waterers attached to a 5 gallon water drum year round (just in case the waters are spilled or something) for the chickens... the ducks would come over and drink out of them too. They'd also figure out that if they get bashed the little metal prong with their bills upwards, it would get stuck, allowing for a constant - small - stream of water to pour out that they could play in...

Long story short: ducks love anything that has to do with water. And they are smart.

I would be worried that during very cold times of the year that they would freeze. I object to the tube waterers that people use for outside rabbits for that reason too. My outside rabbits have a heated drinking bowl in the winter. (I don't think all rabbits should live outside, but my guys have a huge pen inside a secure shed, plus a 20x30 foot play area to dig, run and climb in. They also have a heated resting pad in winter and a fan in the summer. Don't know why I added this except I feel bad that they have to live outside, but I have a greyhound too and they are not a good mix!) Anyway, back to topic, I would worry about nipple waterers for that reason. The other problem that I have seen with tube waterers is that they can leak and lose all the water. Don't know if the nipple waterers do that too, but that would be another concern of mine.
jmo
I have a heated nipple waterer that I purchased at BigR 2 years ago in my chicken coop run. it works very well so the girls always have fresh water, no more freezing and waiting for ice to melt. I am getting a few ducklings this week, I will be putting a nipple waterer in with them, hopefully they will use it (of course they will have deep water as well but hope to have the cleanest water available to them too)

Back
Top Bottom