Nipple Waterer for ducks

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
Attended a class over the weekend on diseases of poultry taught by a local avian vet. She felt that nipple waterers were best for poultry (including ducks - I specifically asked the question) as there was less disease and it was easier to keep clean. She did note that you still needed to allow them access to deep enough water to clean their nares (term?) and that you had to teach them how to use the nipple waterers. Just curious as to what experience everyone has had using nipple waterers from there ducks? Seems you still have to keep the open water available, so not sure what you really accomplish with nipple waterers.

Last edited:
Because they have to have water deep enough to dunk their heads as well i guess i don't get the point of using of using them seems rather pointless since you need the dunk-able water to
idunno.gif

I think they sound good for inside, cause when they are outside then can get access to the water to dunk their heads in right? I would like to try them so that my duck coop doesnt get so icky so fast.

You have to think of whether you want it to be super healthy or whether you wan them to be super happy. Ducks prefer deep water, however, the nipple waterer could be healthier. Nares is nostrils. Your call on whatever you'd like but both would be fine providing they could duck their heads in which case they might not even use the nipple drinker, but rather drink the head dunking waterer.

I have used nipples for almost 2 years for inside the duck house. I got the kind that you can use in a 5 gallon bucket. I didn't have to show my ducks or geese how to use them. They were attracted to the bright orange color. I do provide the ducks with several deep water sources in the pen outside during the day. The nipples keep the bedding much drier. I have two 5 gallon buckets suspended each with 3 nipples (but I think you can go with 2 depending on the flock size). I highly recommend them.

I would be worried that during very cold times of the year that they would freeze. I object to the tube waterers that people use for outside rabbits for that reason too. My outside rabbits have a heated drinking bowl in the winter. (I don't think all rabbits should live outside, but my guys have a huge pen inside a secure shed, plus a 20x30 foot play area to dig, run and climb in. They also have a heated resting pad in winter and a fan in the summer. Don't know why I added this except I feel bad that they have to live outside, but I have a greyhound too and they are not a good mix!) Anyway, back to topic, I would worry about nipple waterers for that reason. The other problem that I have seen with tube waterers is that they can leak and lose all the water. Don't know if the nipple waterers do that too, but that would be another concern of mine.
jmo

I would be worried that during very cold times of the year that they would freeze. I object to the tube waterers that people use for outside rabbits for that reason too. My outside rabbits have a heated drinking bowl in the winter. (I don't think all rabbits should live outside, but my guys have a huge pen inside a secure shed, plus a 20x30 foot play area to dig, run and climb in. They also have a heated resting pad in winter and a fan in the summer. Don't know why I added this except I feel bad that they have to live outside, but I have a greyhound too and they are not a good mix!) Anyway, back to topic, I would worry about nipple waterers for that reason. The other problem that I have seen with tube waterers is that they can leak and lose all the water. Don't know if the nipple waterers do that too, but that would be another concern of mine.
jmo

No you raise a good point plus now admit i don't know this for fact but do nipple waterers leak like water bottles do? i despise them for our rabbits and prefer a dish.. i find all the water bottles leak no matter the brand or what you do..

I have corralled my heated water bucket in my duck barn to reduce the water mess but i leave feed in their barn 24/7 to... only in better weather times do i put feed outside, and water is all frozen so no outside access is possible, the door is left open for them to go in/out they free range.

Last edited:
My nipple waterers do not leak. If you install them correctly they will not. They can freeze when temps get in the 20's or below if you don't have a heat lamp or heater in the water. I have read that it is OK for ducks to go without water in the evening as long as they have access to water during the day. Luckily, I have only had to do this for 1 week this year when the temps plunged into the single digits and I had to break the ice or bring fresh water to the critters every 2-3 hours.

To sum it up, they do freeze. But if you have a heating element they will not unless temps get into teens or single digits.

I would not use nipple waterers for the only source of water. I give my ducks and goose access to the outside during the day and clean themselves, swim, and drink out of the larger containers if they desire. My rabbits have a water dish. The nipple waterers for poultry are not similar to the rabbit bottles if that is what veronicasmom was thinking about.

Back
Top Bottom