Nipple Waterer Help

I finally fixed the problem. I mixed my two flocks and my new chickens took to the waterer within seconds. My old flock I spent a few hours trying to get them to drink by sticking their beaks into them, using peanut butter, and just tapping the nipples. Then new chickens saw the nipples and just pecked them for fun were pleasantly surprised by the water. The old flock then wanted some because they thought they were missing out on something.

I finally fixed the problem. I mixed my two flocks and my new chickens took to the waterer within seconds. My old flock I spent a few hours trying to get them to drink by sticking their beaks into them, using peanut butter, and just tapping the nipples. Then new chickens saw the nipples and just pecked them for fun were pleasantly surprised by the water. The old flock then wanted some because they thought they were missing out on something.
yuckyuck.gif

I used the type of nipple waterers that you attach around a 3/4" piece of pvc pipe and the chicks took to them in less than an hour, I used them for about 6 weeks. The only thing that I did not like was that just from the chickns drinking, a lot of water got onto the pine shavings and soaked a large area and had to be cleaned up a lot. I just bought some of those red cup waterers with the little yellow valve inside and hope to have a less wet area shortly.

I used the type of nipple waterers that you attach around a 3/4" piece of pvc pipe and the chicks took to them in less than an hour, I used them for about 6 weeks. The only thing that I did not like was that just from the chickns drinking, a lot of water got onto the pine shavings and soaked a large area and had to be cleaned up a lot. I just bought some of those red cup waterers with the little yellow valve inside and hope to have a less wet area shortly.
I use a cake pan under the nipple waters to collect the drips. Place down pan, with a wooden block to fit for the chicks to climb on and keep feed dryish. Clean out is easier.

I originally had nipples in this coop, since changed to cups, and when I did I fashioned these drip catchers out of small plastic coffee cans. I made two out of every can, the ones made from the top got the lid glued on with Plumbing Goop (a brand of adhesive). They worked fairly well and some of the little birds back then would just wait on the others to cause a few drips into the can and then drink that. It was kind of like you have to remove all other sources of water to get the birds to use the nipples.

Newbie here....I just got my 6 pullets (19 weeks old) last weekend....YEAH! I have a nipple waterer and they seemed to take to the nipples even though it was the first time any of them had used it. Monkey see, monkey do.
smile.png
My waterer is 2 gallons and it seems like they have only gone through 1 gallon in the first 6 days.

From what I am reading, that seems to be a very small amount? In the last couple days, I have put in a very small water bowl in the coop at night and they drink just a little bit in the morning before I let them out into the run.

They all seem pretty happy and healthy, but want to be sure that they are getting enough. Does this amount seem right for 6 pullets? I figured I would be filling that at least 2 times a week.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Fass

I made a waterer last year with a five gallon bucket and the watering cups right before winter and had a bucket heater and the water in the cups would freeze and prevent their use. The water in the bucket would still be unfrozen. Needless to say, I went back to the heated dog bowl.

I tried using this set up once it turned warm and still could not get the chickens to use it. I just use a few bowls and clean and fill them up every couple of days.

Wayne

I made a waterer last year with a five gallon bucket and the watering cups right before winter and had a bucket heater and the water in the cups would freeze and prevent their use. The water in the bucket would still be unfrozen. Needless to say, I went back to the heated dog bowl.

I tried using this set up once it turned warm and still could not get the chickens to use it. I just use a few bowls and clean and fill them up every couple of days.

Wayne

I have a similar set up with a 5 gallon igloo, no heater. Temps are fairly mild here but it gets cold enough to freeze a birdbath, hoses, sometimes pipes. I was thinking this may be an issue when I built this thing but it would only be a problem short term each year.

I originally had nipples in this coop, since changed to cups, and when I did I fashioned these drip catchers out of small plastic coffee cans. I made two out of every can, the ones made from the top got the lid glued on with Plumbing Goop (a brand of adhesive). They worked fairly well and some of the little birds back then would just wait on the others to cause a few drips into the can and then drink that. It was kind of like you have to remove all other sources of water to get the birds to use the nipples.

Pretty cool use of old coffee cans!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom