Nipple Waterer Help

I don't bother measuring when I'm cooking, either. :) I just poured two small cap fulls in the bucket, we'll see if they notice it.

I have 8 4-week old chicks & I've just installed an automatic waterer in their "home" yesterday--took them a few minutes to figure it out. Then everyone was pecking at those nipples so much so that the bedding got wet but just when I thought it's a bad idea, they started scratching on those wet bedding--kept them busy for awhile. I like that they get to do something fun until their coop is finished & they can free range in the backyard. The 15 chicks I got from Mt. Healthy yesterday have also started on the nipple waterer but I have also placed a regular water container in their brooder just for those who may think it's too much of an effort. I love this type of waterer because I don't have to worry about bedding filling up the container or poop in their water. I hope you find the best watering system for your flock--good luck!

I tried switching to the nipple waterers, too. Some of my chickens took right to them and others didn't. I like the peanut butter idea and will try that.
It is so hot and humid down here already and I lost an 8month old pullet to heat stroke. :(
I was wondering if she didn't get enough fluid and I added the other waterer back; at least until the weather cools off, which won't be till October. :p
I always use organic ACV, the one with the mother. It's good for their respiratory system and their guts as well. But I just learned on this site that ACV can inhibit calcium absorption. :/
So in the summer when it's hot and chickens eat less they drop their calcium and can lay soft shelled eggs. I stopped adding the ACV for the summer months and you can even give them some baking soda in their water to create a more alkaline environment....makes better eggs.
So many things to learn about our wonderful birdies. :)

I didn't read through all the replies, so someone might have already mentioned this. Make sure that you have drilled one or two small holes in the top of your chicken nipple watering bucket. Otherwise, a vacuum happens and the water will not release from the bucket when they peck at the nipples. My girls all use chicken nipple buckets that I've made, and they don't have any problems using them. I love the fact that their water stays poop free! : )

Right now I don't have a lid on the bucket so that isn't the issue. I'm going to be combining my two flocks very soon. Right now the nipple waterer is in with the older chickens but I'm hoping the younger chickens catch onto the nipple waterer and teach the older chickens. If that doesn't work, I'll have to go back to the old ordinary waterer.

I tried switching to the nipple waterers, too. Some of my chickens took right to them and others didn't. I like the peanut butter idea and will try that.
It is so hot and humid down here already and I lost an 8month old pullet to heat stroke. :(
I was wondering if she didn't get enough fluid and I added the other waterer back; at least until the weather cools off, which won't be till October. :p
I always use organic ACV, the one with the mother. It's good for their respiratory system and their guts as well. But I just learned on this site that ACV can inhibit calcium absorption. :/
So in the summer when it's hot and chickens eat less they drop their calcium and can lay soft shelled eggs. I stopped adding the ACV for the summer months and you can even give them some baking soda in their water to create a more alkaline environment....makes better eggs.
So many things to learn about our wonderful birdies. :)

Please tell me more about baking soda--how much water to how much baking soda

It is so hot and humid down here already and I lost an 8month old pullet to heat stroke.
sad.png

I was wondering if she didn't get enough fluid and I added the other waterer back; at least until the weather cools off, which won't be till October.
tongue.png

I always use organic ACV, the one with the mother. It's good for their respiratory system and their guts as well. But I just learned on this site that ACV can inhibit calcium absorption.
hmm.png

So many things to learn about our wonderful birdies.
smile.png
I would want to know the source of that information. THere is a lot of misinformation that flies around like it is the real thing. WHen I read nonbyc sites, there is no mention of that ACV can inhibit Ca absorption. I know my own gut is much less gassy, much less bloating, and was more accepting of bread now that it keeps a good supply of good bugs in the gut. So if you have that reference. I would love to read it. Also I'm not so sure it is the acid in the ACV that is an issue so I would also be very careful with adding baking soda to your diet willy nilly. THAT can put your blood chemistry off balance. Your stomach produces FAAAAAAAAR more acid than the ACV dose of 1T per day; stomach acid is very strong and starts breaking down your food before it enters the small intestines. Perhaps some one clever can find the pH of the stomach acid and the amt of acid it produces a day. Who is good at looking up info on the internet??

Back
Top Bottom