Nipple Waterer in Hot Climate?

9ByDesign

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 31, 2010
Wesley Chapel, FL
If you live in hot/humid climate (we're in Central Florida) do the nipple waterers work for you? My friend said that her hens don't like how hot the water gets in those and don't drink enough in summer- so they end up putting an open tub of water out (messy) in the summers.

Also, if you have one of the PVC pipe feeders- do you like it? I've also heard food can get "stuck" in those.

Hi! I actually got a rabbit waterer from the pet food store to put in the run and they love it! The only problem is that it is hard to get ice cubes in on hot days. I usually fill it up once a day because they drink it all, but do it more often when it's hot outside so the water is cooler. I have a small flock of only twelve chickens, though, so I'm sure this would be a lot more work if you have more chickens!

Well, we do have 2 rabbits, too.... We only have 4 chickens, but it seems like they drink more than a rabbit bottle each day (and they are only 4 weeks). We have a gallon dish waterer and they drink/kick out at least 1/2 a day. That's an idea though---we might try.

Just concerned about the water in the rabbit bottle OR nipple waterer getting too HOT in Florida. Any other Floridians...what do you use for watering?

Last edited:
I have a rabbit water bottle also and 16 chickens. They would definitely go through much more than one bottle a day. I also have an open tub of water and one of the big 3 gallon plastic waterers for them.

I have and use the nipples drinkers for my rabbits and chickens. I have not had a single problem with it at all. I have not noticed the hens/rooster being thirsty. I normally touch the water in the day to see the heat level of the water and it is not really hot. Yes warm but seems fine to me. I have not any birds or rabbits from it either. But, my results may be different than yours.

Sorry... I didn't make myself clear- we also have a large galvanized waterer in the coop. I don't think just the waterer in the run would be enough for them, and I would be a nut wondering if it was leaking or something, but it's nice, clean option for them outside
smile.png

I live just north of you in Citrus County and have no problems with Nipple Waterers. Is the water hot? Yes, but the girls get what they need/want and the water is clean!

Use a couple of 32oz gatorade bottles 3/4 full of water and freeze them then put them in your supply tank (mine is a 5 gal bucket)

i have several and just switch them out and refreeze

Quote:
I also have a 5 gal bucket w/nipples in bottom. I also fill 2 liter bottles 3/4 full of water & freeze them then place 1 or 2 frozen bottles in the bucket (depending how hot it is ... 95 - 117) and put the thawed, hot ones back into the freezer. Works like a charm!

44629_dsc01843.jpg

Pic is not the greatest but you get the idea. This is in my grow out pen so I like to be able to adjust height of the bucket. Also in our extreme summer heat ... when they're panting, I put out pans of water for them to stand/wade in. They do drink it sometimes
sickbyc.gif
but they have clean, cool, fresh water available.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom