Nipple Waterer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LizGled628, Jul 13, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I've read a few posts about waters with nipples, as opposed to the regular jug waters. I've never heard of anything like this, or seen it for that matter. Does anyone have any experience with them, with young chicks? I have 2 RIR, 2 EE, 2 BR that are 5 weeks old. We are almost ready to move them out to the coop, and I would love to have a cleaner way to water them.

Thanks for the help!

2. imamtgrandma2

imamtgrandma2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
    I have 4 Girls and they are 57 days old.
    The picked up the nipple idea right away when I put the nipples in the bottom of a gallon jug when they first arrived. I was amazed - they "got it" in one day. People were right - one Girl checked it out and the rest followed close behind.
    When I moved them to the coop - I fixed up a gravity feed (from a bucket on top of the coop) system into PVC pipe that I can adjust for height as they grow. It worked great and the bucket holds 3 gallons so I don't have to fill it very often. I covered the bucket with insulated foil so I'm hoping the Winter freezing temps won't impact it.
    I'll try to get pictures and post them soon.

3. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the info! What is the name of the waterer? And def let me know when you post some pics, I'm very interested!

4. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    I love love LOVE my nipple waterer! [​IMG] You have to make it yourself, though. Which is the only bad part [​IMG] I got the nipple part from FarmTek!
    I highly recommend you use a nipple waterer!

5. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    BYC member Neil Grassbaugh sells them for a lot less shipping than FarmTek. Just send him a message and he'll let you know what you need to do. I just bought a dozen of them from him. Got them in the mail yesterday.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I am using home made nipple waterers on even my newborn chicks. They figured it out right out of the shell with some help (pecking the nipples with the beak).. Much less messy!

7. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    Californiabirdmom, I'd love to see pics of your gravity feeder, if you could post some! We have the problem of our chicks not only getting their water dirty (have ordered the nipple waterer kits), but getting shavings and poo all in their feeders - not to mention strewing it all over. So much gets wasted.

Beth

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Here's a 2 week old chick that figured it out, despite the fact that the bucket is a good foot above the ground on an upturned concrete block!
    [​IMG]

Here's a full view of it.
    [​IMG]

Here's one in a playhouse coop.
    [​IMG]

Here's one in a brooder.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by