Nipple Waterer

In today's mail, I just got mine.

Instructions said:
1. remove other waterer the night before so when they wake up thirsty in the morning it will be their only choice -- install at 18-inch height or a little lower
2. if the chickens don't catch on rightaway then tap the bottom silver thing so that a few drips will come out --see if they 'get it'
3. if that doesn't work , while they are thirsty, slowly pour water over the top so that it will drip off the bottom, they will go to get the water and self train.

Hope this will help your chickens figure it out.
good luck!

Thanks. Before I was trying to grab them, gently grasp their neck, and push their beaks against the nipples.0

Quote:
Unless they're day-olds, I wouldn't do that. I didn't actually have to do anything other than put the waterer in there and let their curiosity take over. Once they were all gathered around taking turns, I took the dish waterer out. But, if yours are fearful, tapping the nipple so a drip hangs there might tempt them to try.

Last edited:
If you feel they are not drinking enough water from the nipples. you can always advance to nipple waterer cups like these. Then they will always have a fresh cup of water to drink from. I think the methods mentioned should get them going just fine. Chickens are smarter than people give them credit for.

62744_100_7464.jpg

I'm afraid they will die of thirst if I remove the other waterer.
Any other methods?
cool.png

You can remove it for small periods and make those periods longer and longer so you know they are getting water but will hopefully switch over to the nipples.

Just tap the bottom of it. If you can gets ones attention the others will follow. They're usually pretty curious and might peck at it just because. Once they realize what it is, they'll take right to it.

I just got mine into today and installed 3 under a 5 gallon bucket and hung it. I simply had to start taping it a bunch of times until the water came out and all 26 of my 3 week olds figured it out within minutes almost to the point that I suspect they may not have been getting enough water in the first place because of all the drinking.

Back
Top Bottom