Nipple waterers and Spring bucket feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Schweiger, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Schweiger

Schweiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Augusta, Ga
    Hi, I just finished upgrading all of my chicken pens with "nipple" bucket waterers. Before I made the switch I was using those plastic one gallon chick waterers (for the bantams) and 5 gallon metal ones as well (for the Large Fowl). They work wonderfully and they do not take any floor space. I love them as they can not get dirt, straw, feathers and/or poo in them. I also love that they are extremly cheap to make. I have made 5 gallon ones for about $8 even after bying a new bucket at Lowes. I believe the last metal standard waterer cost me $30+. Here is a bad picture of one of my buckets before I put it in the last coop.

[​IMG]

So my question is..... I wish to upgrade all of my feeders now and I saw on ebay that there is a man from england that sells what he calls a spring bucket feeder. It works on the same method as the waterer but the chicken pecks at a spring and food falls out. If anyone has used this method please let me know how well it works, and if you havent tried this method look intoit and tell me what you all think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by